Gluing on knife scales?

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Hi Fella's

I've done a search but can't seem to find the info i'm looking for so, i'm hoping some of the knife makers on the site might help me out here.

I've just bought a new knife :eek: the Enzo trapper 95 in 01 steel, well i bought the kit form so need to glue on the scales :confused:
please can someone tell me a good epoxy glue to use that i can buy at say B&Q ?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as above but if its your first handle/blade use the slow setting stuff so you have time to play if needed.....

also wd40 is good for getting of the excess glue, just spray some on a rag and rub it over, should do the trick, it needs to be wet though........(the glue that is)...

hope this helps a bit more....

chris....

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for that lads, and thats a good tip lanny thanks. Well thats a nice little job for tomorrow sorted then. Oh one more thing, I've got the green micarta handles and was thinking of finishing them with some danish oil i've got left from doing kitchen worktops do you think that will be ok on micarta?

What do you use to seal micarta?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i thought micarta was man made type of resin stuff, if so you just need to go down through the sanding grits and finish with polishing compound, chocolate or toothpaste work as a last resort though..........

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for that lads, and thats a good tip lanny thanks. Well thats a nice little job for tomorrow sorted then. Oh one more thing, I've got the green micarta handles and was thinking of finishing them with some danish oil i've got left from doing kitchen worktops do you think that will be ok on micarta?

What do you use to seal micarta?

You dont need to put anything on micarta buddy , it is sealed and moisture resistant already ! just go through the grits.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
i thought micarta was man made type of resin stuff, if so you just need to go down through the sanding grits and finish with polishing compound, chocolate or toothpaste work as a last resort though..........

Yeah micarta is man made, hmmm thinking about it it's just canvas in some sorta plastic resin so yeah think i'll sand down and leave it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE