Glueing to a Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hi

I have a Coleman Journey canoe and have added little "D" rings round the gunwales to tie stuff in. Now I want to add a couple of fixing points to the floor of the canoe to also tie stuff in (when it is not large enough to reach the gunwales).

My plan was to glue some plastic electrical duct clips to the floor. These are cheap from B & Q and look ideal but what do I glue them with to make a really strong fixing? I have tried Superglue and Plastic Glue but neither gave the strength I wanted. I do not know much about epoxy but noticed it said on the tubes that it was not suitable for some plastics.

So what should I use and just as importantly where do I get it from?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Epoxy should work, but if it doesn't it'll melt your canoe! So probably not worth the risk... Try fibreglass bonding compounds. Fibreglass tape or the GRP (your canoe is GRP isn't it?) compound used to repair it. Both have worked for me in the past. :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
arctic hobo said:
Epoxy should work, but if it doesn't it'll melt your canoe! So probably not worth the risk... Try fibreglass bonding compounds. Fibreglass tape or the GRP (your canoe is GRP isn't it?) compound used to repair it. Both have worked for me in the past. :)
Sounds good. Where am I likely to get such things? Does not sound like B & Q items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE