Global Forest Cover Change between 2000 and 2012

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
NASA-USGS Landsat Data Yield Best View to Date of Global Forest Losses, Gains. (Article)
Global Forest Change. (Images)

Do notice that "trees are defined as all vegetation taller than 5m", thus the algorithm used leaves out any area that might have things that we call trees, e.g. certain types of swamps and subarctic areas close to the tundra.

An example of a cover map from the NASA site.

forest-cover-global.png

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Go to the article, and at the bottom there is a link to the map in google earth, allowing you to zoom in. Canada is really depressing, but I notice that Ireland has more blue than red, albeit starting from having very little tree cover to start with.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
What swamps don't have trees?

There are six different kind of swamp or mire types (fi: korpi, letto, luhti, lähteikkö, neva and räme) in Finland as defined by their vegetation. Two of these do not have any kind of trees, one has small trees usually shorter than 5 meters in height and the rest a bit shorter than normal trees. The largest open bog in Finland has an area of around 350 square kilometers.

One small reason for the loss of forest cover in Finland is the restoration of swamps/mires by cutting down the excess trees that have grown during the time the areas was used for some other purpose. Also, as referred on the Google maps, the large red line in Eastern Finland was caused by cyclone Dagmar in 2011.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It appears were not actually doing too badly in the UK. Apart from the Dales and North York moors, it looks to me slightly more blue than red. Scotland and especially Ireland stand out as increasing.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Canada is really depressing, but I notice that Ireland has more blue than red, albeit starting from having very little tree cover to start with.

Alaska seems to be where the real damage is taking place, whereas Canada appears a lot closer to equal gains for losses when you zoom in. I can't see any gains in Alaska at all!

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Ultimately, it is a sobering thought but when we have long since departed this mother planet that we share and grow on; she will continue to thrive as she always has and always will.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ultimately, it is a sobering thought but when we have long since departed this mother planet that we share and grow on; she will continue to thrive as she always has and always will.

Nah. Its absolutely inevitable that the Earth will eventually die - atmosphere stripped away, and eventually fried.

And on that sobering thought - merry christmas folks:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE