Glebert Solo 1man tent advice

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Does it withstand cold/snow quite well? Im looking for something small and compact for a trip to Austria and Germany.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cold, wind, rain all is fine. Snow seems to gather on the top an sag it in somewhat. And there is very little room in there as it is.

Not a bad tent to be honest,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Second what Pignut says, a pal uses on regularly and really rates it. No room to do anything other than lie down and sleep, the porch does swallow up a pack and a pair of boots though.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
I have one and i have only used it 3 times. Very small to say the least & it would need to be a small dog if you wanted to put it in the porch. My poles have spilt in various places. Not relly worth it in my opinion.Im now looking at the Vango Banshee 200 it packs down to nearly the same size as the Gelert.

Cheers
Scott

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I have one and i have only used it 3 times. Very small to say the least & it would need to be a small dog if you wanted to put it in the porch. My poles have spilt in various places. Not relly worth it in my opinion.Im now looking at the Vango Banshee 200 it packs down to nearly the same size as the Gelert.

Cheers
Scott

Id like to see one folded down. Ive seen the Gelert, it really is small.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Try GO outdoors they stock the banshee. It weighs in at 1.85kg & pack down to 44cm x 12 cm diameter. Just a wee bit bigger than the Gelert but a much better tent.Its a 2 man so you can keep your bag indoors too.

Cheers
Scott

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Try GO outdoors they stock the banshee. It weighs in at 1.85kg & pack down to 44cm x 12 cm diameter. Just a wee bit bigger than the Gelert but a much better tent.Its a 2 man so you can keep your bag indoors too.

Cheers
Scott

yeah so ive heard, is it much heavier than the Gelert once put away? Trying to keep the weight off my bag.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Quite honestly, I wouldn't trust any tent with fibre glass poles in serious cold and snow as they become brittle as the temperature drops. Those on this tent are only 6.9 mm which is really narrow IMHO. My 3 season solo tent, an REI Chrysalis has 8.8 mm Al poles and that is not recommended for Alpine conditions because 1 the poles are too narrow and 2 (more important) there are too few crossing points to provide snow load resistance. It's always tempting to go for an inexpensive, small summer tent and try to use it in all circumstances, but be warned, it can be really dangerous if you camp more than a few metres away from a safe haven in blizzard conditions unless you have equipment capable of surviving such conditions. Sorry to be such a downer, but I have done SAR and it is usually because the people are inadequately equipped for the circumstances.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi here's my input, I have one of the Gelert 1 Man tents and find it does the job. I'm six foot and can get my bergen in the top porch with me & still have a little room. The tent is only for sleeping and for other tasks I put up a tarp. I used this last year up and around Dunns in Scotland for the Jim Clark Rally had no problems again its what you can afford at the time. I would be a bit sceptical about snow tho?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE