Give me your fiction book recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi All,

I figured this was the best place to post this but mods please move if it should be somewhere else.

I’m a pretty avid reader and am just about to finish the pretty epic wheel of time series (one book to go so no spoilers please )

I’m looking for something new to read on a similar fantasy fiction theme.
I have read everything by Raymond E Feist, David Gemmell, Terry Pratchett, Mark Lawrence, Bernard Cornwell, Tolkien to name those I can remember off hand what does the collective hive mind of BCUK recommend?

Ideally I want to find another fantasy saga (swords and spells type thing) or a good EOTWAWKI series where the world has “moved on” like the Jon Shannow series or the Dark Tower.

Hit me with your favourites, I have an amazon kindle account and an itchy keyboard finger!

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at my bookshelves right now I can recommend the following

Any of the series by Conn Iggulden about Caesar or Genghis Khan.

James Michener does some cracking books, Centennial, Chesapeake to name a couple

Anne McCaffery's Dragon Riders of Pern series

Edward Rutherford 'The Forest' Fictional story of the New Forest

Stephen Donaldson 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant'

Wilbur Smith, any of his books

Stephen Lawhead did a couple good series

That ought to be enough to keep you going for a while :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Dune books by Frank Herbert, including prequels and postquels by his son and others
Anything by Peter F Hamilton
Anything by Arthur C Clarke

Historical - anything by Manfredi

If you want to read a mix of facts and SF, read Churchill’s Second World War

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks all for the replies, I now have a rather long list to work my way through but a few google searches and there seem to be some cracking reads that should keep me going for a while.

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but i recommend I Am Legend. Much better than the movie, and the ending has always stuck with me. One of my favourite endings of all the books ive read.

Brandon Sanderson took over for the last few books of the Wheel of Time series, and his Stormlight Archive series is well worth a look, starting with The Way of Kings.

Also - The Powder Mage trilogy. Swords,sorcery and gunpowder
and The Legend of Drizzt series, 30+ books now. May or may not be your thing, less serious than any of the others, but ive always enjoyed the Forgotten Realms setting.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Try "After London" by Richard Jeffries. He was already p*ssed off by what was happening to the English countryside in the 19th century and wrote this dystopian novel back then. Good job he didn't live to see the thorough job we made of it. He would have understood us: a knowledgeable country lover.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'll add the science fiction of Iain M. banks.
His 'culture' series is superb although strictly SciFi there are definite fantasy and dystopia elements throughout.
In my view his writing is pure genius.

Reactions: Olly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Perhaps not right on spec, but you might well enjoy the steampunk fantasy that is The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist. It’s very well written, creating an actual fictional world in your mind, but not for everyone. Maybe try a Kindle sample before you buy.

Reactions: KenThis

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I Am Pilgrim. A fantastic read.

Aimed at a far younger audience than me (but did keep me away from the goggle box for a while) was Cassandra Clares Shadowhunters series. Not sure if I should admit to this but old enough to not be bothered.

11.22.63 also good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE