Gimmie some notions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
will also be laying out some fishing lines
And don't forget to have rods with your lines and the relavant permits. Hand lines and night lines are considered poaching by authoratories and you could end up with a large fine :-( Handlines can be used on the sea/coast though. Popular for crab and makrel.

Ed

B

bill

and dont forget not to use bread as trout cant resist little balls of it moulded round your hook.this would be awfully bold and shouldnt be done in the late evening at all,when the rangers have gone home [in tullymore and castlewellan ] :wink:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Dont use worms either for the same reasons!
Also as you have a wide age range of kids try and do some adventurous stuff that the older 2 can do and you can assist the little one with.My eldest kid always liked to help her smaller siblings to achieve the harder stuff like climbing up large ish rocks. the little ones loved it and the older ones developed a good sense of responsibility.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Wellllll....

Back, with very mixed results.
So mixed that I came home for a while on Wednesday to get my head showered.
Suffice to say that patience was lacking in the two youngest members of the party and their...ummm...volume controls were stuck at Spinal Tap levels. Irritating to one who sees the peacefulness of the outdoors as one of the more attractive features. However, nothing ventured.....

We did cover, in varying degrees, celestial navagation, knots, medicinal uses of common plants, cordage making & wild foods.

Other activities planned were set aside, for the sake of everyones sanity, the frisbee was deployed and the local family pub visited.

I know the old adage is that there are no bad pupils, only bad teachers and the boys mother seemed pleased with what they had learned, one of them was even persuaded to sip nettle soup, but can anyone suggest how one can explain that the point of a fire drill will never burst into flame and no matter where you are in the world sausage, beans and chips won't be found in the hedgerow?
I tried and failed, despite a background in facilitating primary education projects. I believe the major factor was a lack of patience, there was a seemingly genuine interest and both the lads have evidently watched a few of Mr. Mears shows. But no roaring fire in 90 seconds and my failure to produce four courses from the first hundred yards walk and we go back to beating each other with sticks and back to the tent for a blast on the game-boy.

I'm trying to take some inspiration from the positive aspects, the lads did learn a bit and the teenager loved most of it, but am a tad disheartened by the whole affair.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hey - hope you don't let it get you down.

Outdoors stuff is like that, it's a lot different from (most of our) usual day to day life. That the lads took in anything at all is good progress. That your daughter enjoyed a lot of it is great :biggthump . That they wanted instant results is typical and being kinda self involved and noisy is normal for their age.

Trick is, everyone remembers the good bits and forgets the dull ones. Just keep introducing them to new ideas and connecting them to the things you all did "do you remember when we ..., well..." and next time you do a bit more, and more after that.

It's like eating new food - it can take quite a while to get used to some things but over time it should all work out fine. Kids are best with little but often and making a game out of everything. I hope you gently stick with it and bet you'll be able to teach them loads.

:You_Rock_

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
BTW - as an example of me spoonfeeding my kids (8 & 10) with the same ideas and stuff:
I drag mine out for only 2 or 3 hours at a time and even though we're only going on a short walk in a local wood we take a basha, a camp stove and some sort of food. Oh - and always a "possibles" bag just in case we find an interesting plant, a fungus, whatever. We're very big on "mushrooms can be dangerous so don't even touch it unless we know what it is", but they're getting an inordinate amount of practice at rigging a basha and rustling up a snack for a modest number of hours outdoors.

When we do do longer outings, it's still only full days or two days with an overnight, but it all mounts up.

Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE