Gift For A Neighbour

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
About ten days ago, Rockmonkey and i did some tree work for one of my neighbours, the job we did was to Pollard a big old Willow Tree and i said to my neighbour at the time, that i would carve her a couple of spoons from some of the timber we took out, and being a man of my word, i made this pair of spoons for her, the small one is an eating spoon, whilst the larger one is a cooking spoon.

DSCN2883A.jpg

I roughed these out last week from opposing sides of the same piece of wood and decided pretty early on to make them in different styles, although you can see it in the photo, both spoons have a cranked handle.

I got them finished off this morning, having let them dry out nice and slowly, the large one is sanded (yuk:rolleyes:) and the smaller one has a tooled finish, i was going to tool both of them, but decided at the last moment to sand one as that way, im guaranteed to get at least one of them right:)

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I like them a lot!
If she ain't happy with them, i know someone who would be!
Beautiful work as always mate!
It must have been the way it was cut of the tree that gave you a good start on them though!:lmao:

RM

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely spoons as usual.

Re: sanding vs tooled finishes, I posted this in another thread:
"A tooled (i.e. unsanded) finish is for people who are good with their tools (i.e. not me). I tried a tooled finish on a spoon recently (my first attempt) and it looked like a dog had chewed the bowl. Bowl was wonky too. The sandpaper will definitely be coming out on that one."

You make the tooled finish look easy. It isn't.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the comments peeps, will let you know what she said tomorrow.

Re: sanding vs tooled finishes, I posted this in another thread:
"A tooled (i.e. unsanded) finish is for people who are good with their tools (i.e. not me). I tried a tooled finish on a spoon recently (my first attempt) and it looked like a dog had chewed the bowl. Bowl was wonky too. The sandpaper will definitely be coming out on that one."

You make the tooled finish look easy. It isn't.

Cheers mate, it's just practice and lots of it, a wonky bowl though, surely that's called "a rustic finish":)

re the whole sandpaper vs tooled finish debate, the way i look at it is, it's your (thats a generic your btw) spoon, you finish it the way you want to, who is anybody to tell you you cant do it one way or the other, just because 'they' dont like it, to my mind there is no right or wrong way to finish an item, surely, it's the choice of the individual making the thing as to what finish it has and if they like it, then it's correct by default?.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Agree 100%.

However, any fool can sand something smooth. I need more practice for the tooled finish to be acceptable, because I'd like to be able to do both.

Yeah, rustic (as in rubbish).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bet that spoon is still alive!

It amazed me how long willow grows. I have had logs in my logpile that I have cut and split and are seasoning still putting out shoots :)

Lovely spoons mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE