Giant Turtle On BBC.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
What a catch, i bet he wont forget catching that in a hurry, mind you though the snapper turtle can give you a bit of a nasty nip.Glad its been rehomed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Exotic pets that have been released into the wild are the bane of my job. The things that people release from Royal pythons to Spectacled cobras and Puff adders, it's sickening. Most are licence holders who have gotten bored or accidently bred snakes, to unlicenced keepers not being able to sell on.

I've been messing about in my local stream today, accidently kicking a decent sized snapper with my bare foot would be most unpleasant.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Exotic pets that have been released into the wild are the bane of my job. The things that people release from Royal pythons to Spectacled cobras and Puff adders, it's sickening.

Do I read you right that folks have released cobras and puff adders in this country Johnathon?

I know Florida is having a real problem with pythons and boas but hadn't heard anything about poisonous snakes being released

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
the snapper turtle can give you a bit of a nasty nip.Glad its been rehomed.

I think a snapping turtle that size might give you more than a nasty nip, Radix lecti. It could place a whole new meaning on the term "finger-food".

I've fished all over the world and there aren't many creatures I'd be reluctant to pick up, but that is one of them. Horrible!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Do I read you right that folks have released cobras and puff adders in this country Johnathon?

I know Florida is having a real problem with pythons and boas but hadn't heard anything about poisonous snakes being released

Oh yeah, when their snakes breed or when they tire of them, the many unlicenced DWA keepers get rid of them in a variety of ways as they can't sell them. Venomous snakes aren't that expensive to buy and certain species just can't be sold or even given away. The amount of foreign reptiles I've collected is huge and the majority of the time you can't find the owner. With reptiles on the DWA list, even legit keepers can keep quiet on an escapee for fear of losing their licence. This is the exception rather than the rule though, as DWA holders are quite responsible people.

This snapper is just another example, there must be tens if not hundreds of them in the wild in this country but as they are very secretive and we don't tend to go swimming in our lakes and rivers, they are seldom found. As pets, they are cute when an inch or two long, but they soon grow and outgrow their cages and owners keeping ability. As people become emotionally attached to their pets, they are not keen on killing them. Next stop, the local canal.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Imagine meeting this thing while paddling around in a pond.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/hereford_and_worcester/10576657.stm
It doesn't seem to bother this bloke though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96c...D6093A76&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=15
Happy trails...torc.

I enjoyed the second video link, he is a fine country character. I also enjoyed one of the video's linked to it, the snapping turtle in this vid makes the first one look like a tiny baby, (have to skip 20 seconds advert at beginning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8oMS3IODQ&feature=related

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
these im sure will eventually become another resident introduced animal, like rabbits. except more painful, and more damaging to wildlife.
there are also loads of terrapins and sliders wandering about out there.
i have seen people releasing corn snakes and milk snakes at our fishing lake (lots of grass and voles) but i dont think they last too long... tonnes of gold fish too, though if i can get to them they go in ponds...
the things some people release! im sure someone with facilities would have loved to be given that turtle!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE