Ghillie Kettle - Shiny! (Not anymore)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
Was lucky enough to get my first Ghillie Kettle from Santa and finally got to try it out in a break in the weather. With the Christmas tree taken down I had some ready to go dry wood so broke it out on the patio for a cup of tea.

Wont go into detail reviewing it - mainly because I have nothing to compare it to other than a cup and it's a pretty common item!

Great item, bit bulky but light. It said in the instructions it isn't any good for carrying water as it might leak when cold but was fine for 10 minutes sloshing water about the garden. Came with the full cooking set but I doubt I'll use the grill over the base, might use the pan and saucepan over a small fire and can carry it together with the kettle so one less thing I need.

One issue I had though is that it was fine at first getting water boiled over the base fire but after an hour (yes I was out there for an hour playing with my new toy!) I struggled to get it hot enough to boil.

Not sure if it was a build up of ash in the base, me not paying enough attention and either over topping up the fire or under filling it. Or is it that they aren't designed with the idea that someone will sit and boil water, refill then boil some more for an hour? :confused:

ZYc2hXx

(Not sure why but photo isn't loading when I view this - I read the instructions and everything!)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Was lucky enough to get my first Ghillie Kettle from Santa and finally got to try it out in a break in the weather. With the Christmas tree taken down I had some ready to go dry wood so broke it out on the patio for a cup of tea.

Wont go into detail reviewing it - mainly because I have nothing to compare it to other than a cup and it's a pretty common item!

Great item, bit bulky but light. It said in the instructions it isn't any good for carrying water as it might leak when cold but was fine for 10 minutes sloshing water about the garden. Came with the full cooking set but I doubt I'll use the grill over the base, might use the pan and saucepan over a small fire and can carry it together with the kettle so one less thing I need.

One issue I had though is that it was fine at first getting water boiled over the base fire but after an hour (yes I was out there for an hour playing with my new toy!) I struggled to get it hot enough to boil.

Not sure if it was a build up of ash in the base, me not paying enough attention and either over topping up the fire or under filling it. Or is it that they aren't designed with the idea that someone will sit and boil water, refill then boil some more for an hour? :confused:

ZYc2hXx

(Not sure why but photo isn't loading when I view this - I read the instructions and everything!)

Here you go

ZYc2hXx.jpg

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
Was it because that was post number 10? (Been reading more rules about what you can and can't post)

Ah well - I can see the picture now complete with Christmas tree debris around it. Thanks.

Gets a good 'jet engine' noise when burning well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE