Getting wild with garlic

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
We all know what these are I expect :)

WildRansomBuds.jpg

WildRansomLeaves.jpg

A lovely salsa verde made from magimix'd leaves, white wine vinegar, pinch of sea salt and a touch a of sugar. Lovely with oily and white fish alike. Surprisingly delicate and grassy in flavour.

GarlicSalsaVerde.jpg

Unopened flower buds in white wine vinegar, a touch of white basalmic and some salt and they are excellent as tapas alongside olives or caper berries. These little pocket rockets have some oomph too - lots of fresh garlic, garden pea and white pepper flavours but only a very temporary garlic breath afterwards which is a bonus with the missus ;)

garlicbudsinvinegar.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh very good :D
Good food :cool: How long do the buds last ? .....or is that a silly question ?:eek:

I've got masses of ramsons growing under the apple tree, and this would be an excellent way of slowing down their spreading and seeding between the slabs :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

D

DrSin

mmmmm sound nice, never tried the unopened flowers, great idea.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thanks for this - my usually woody playground is full of them at the moment. How long does the salsa verde last?
Have you tried collecting and drying the seeds and putting them in a pepper mill?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Great, looks lovely!
I tried Ramsons roots recently cooked in the embers of my fire. Some had sweetend up a bit but the taste was still quite harsh and became unpleasant afer a few. I think the roots would be better cooked longer. Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Slice diagonally and fried very quickly in butter they were really lovely. I used the jus to fry thin slices of venison and hare and later at home used the bulbs and jus as the basis of a potato bake with cheese. Really delicious.

cheers,
Toddy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have no idea how long the salsa will last - I expect not greatly long - a week or so in the fridge? I think the sugar in it might make it ferment if left out of the fridge although the vinegar acid and the salt (along with garlic being a fungicide - as is vinegar ) might inhibit bacterial growth. So I don't really know shelf life. It never lasts that long before it gets all eaten.

No recipes - just done to taste :)

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Mmmmmm - yes. Found loads of this when camping last week at a mate's - he said it would be gone in a few weeks so I filled up a plastic bag with the stuff. First was a garlic mayonnaise (went down very well at a BBQ) then a pesto - had some on my pasta last night and it was magic. I'll definitely try and get some more...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made ramson butter, it was 50:50 by volume butter to chopped leaves. I had it in the fridge a week before using. It didn't go funky in anyway, it was milder in taste but stronger in smell than garlic butter.

The roast bulb sound like a nice idea.

How invasive is it to grow? On par with nettle I can deal with, on par with dandilion is a no.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Xylaria it's only a pest because it seeds in between the spaces in the slabs, but even then it only lasts for a couple of months.
Otherwise it's very easily controlled, and the bulbs lift with no bother if you don't want them anymore.
I like them, they're part of the seasonal round :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

H

Harry 047

Great recipe's :D found a load of these down by the river. Know what to do with them now.
Thanks Harry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE