Germany: The best wild camping locations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Can anybody give locations that they would rate as the best wild camping in Germany? If possible, can you provide lat/log ref's so that a Google Earth database can be established. Many thanks. :thankyou:

daveyclayton

Apr 29, 2011
Köln
Hi,
firstly, I live in Germany and I came across your post this morning while looking for places to camp. While the below doesn't directly answer your question, it might offer some tips about what to consider when wild camping (or planning to) in Germany.

I have a pocket German dictionary with travel tips, which states that "Wild camping in great Britain is not allowed!" (I already contacted them to let them know about Scotland). From this I assumed that in Germany it is allowed, but apparently it's not that simple. There is some info here in German, to paraphrase, it's not permitted in Germany, it is in Sweden, Scotland, Norway, Finland and Switzerland, where there is a kind of "right to roam" type law. The laws which govern land access here seem to be made at state level, so it's different in different parts of the country.

http://www.outdoor-magazin.com/service/tipps-on-tour/wild-zelten-aber-richtig.264458.3.htm
http://www.outdoor-magazin.com/service/touren-und-planung/wild-zelten.84199.3.htm?skip=

It looks like in the south of the country there are state laws that allow anyone on open land, except in agricultural use (which includes forestry!). Germany is densely populated, and the population here seems not to be as concentrated in a few metropolitan areas as it is in England. I've yet to find anywhere that feels remote in the sense that much of the British upland spaces do. There are also a lot of forests (which are actively managed, and thus seem to have some restrictions as to use), a lot of game (deer/wild boar) and a lot of hunters. The above factors make it a fairly dangerous and probably illegal affair to pitch a tent in a forest, and one of the tips in the above links is to hang a flashing light on your tent so you don't get accidentally shot. Apparently creating any kind of fire (including with a gas stove) withing 100M of a forest seems to be prohibited under German law. This doesn't apply to "open landscape" but so far on my travels I haven't seen much of Germany that isn't covered in either forest or agricultural land.

An interesting reflection on German land use by a early C20th American forester, which certainly chimes with my experience. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_n5-6_v97/ai_10737438/

Anyway sorry I haven't really contributed anything! I reckon the best places to wild camp are likely to be places without managed forest.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Bavarian Forest National Park
Bohemian Forest National Park 49°06′45″N 13°08′09″E
their philosophy, 'Natur sein lassen'

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Can anybody give locations that they would rate as the best wild camping in Germany? If possible, can you provide lat/log ref's so that a Google Earth database can be established. Many thanks. :thankyou:

You have asked about 'The best wild camping locations' for several countries over the past couple of years, have you managed to get to any of them yet or are you planning a humungous wild camping trip? :D

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I am moving to germany to live permanantly in about a months time. I have been looking into this myself. There are plenty of great places to hide yourself away in the German part of the Alps or you could take a look at the Hertz mountains in the north.
However there is a real hidden Gem where the old east west border used to be. It is a 20 mile wide strip of land that runs down the legth of the old border. After the wall came down nobody knew what to do with it so it was just left for nature to do its thing. Now it is an important part of the conservation efforts in germany and if you hike it the only people you will be likely to encounter are hunters.
Its totaly wild and untouched

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
You have asked about 'The best wild camping locations' for several countries over the past couple of years, have you managed to get to any of them yet or are you planning a humungous wild camping trip? :D

I imagine it's for a website or a book maybe. Either way, I imagine it your info, their money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE