German Mess Kit

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Looks all right to me, but looks very similar to the Swedish Army Trangia, except no burner, wind-shield or bottle but it does have that extra pan.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I have used it, it was issued to me when I was in the army. It's all right, but I wouln't use it personally, too many memories... (hmmm maybe I SHOULD get one again :D)

There are better designs out there. Take a look at the US mess kit and as mentioned, the swedish version

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've got the russian version, identical except no inner pan (poss make a good oven that inner bit) in the funky brownie-green and coated in axl grease like all russian kit heh.
the russians use those Optimus stoves, cracking kit tbh. bulky but works well with the mess tin, the russiant water bottle fits directly inside the kit so they at least thought about that.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've got the west German set and can't rate it enough! You can make stew in the main pot and have bannock cooking in the inner top pot at the same time. Breakfast is easy as well, bannock in the top while you brew tea and cook with the lid, or beans in the inner top pot while you boil eggs, etc.

It keeps ash,bugs and sand out of your food while you cook, can be hung over a fire with the bail arm, sat on a fire or sat on a hobo cooker. You can also keep stuff dry inside it strapped to your pack or bergan with your hammock biners. Well worth the £4.50 endicotts do them for! I wouldn't go out without mine! I've tried lots of other things but this is the one for me.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Have used one for several years now for cooking on an open fire and find it a great lightweight bit of kit. Really recomend them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE