German Army BW Pack Transformation (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 30, 2006
Manchester
I've been quite happy with my Norwegian Army Patrol pack for some time - but its really just too small for carrying more than your butties & waterproofs. The full size Norwegian Pack is too big & clumsy for what I need, despite searching for months there didn't seem to be anything on the market that really floated my boat - without incurring the wrath of the Mrs, by forking out for an Isle Royale (which I would probably be too frightened to use anyhow!)

The answer as ever, was to make my own.

The starting point was a cheap German Army BW pack, as below.....

Pack%20Start_zpsbyxdj9cn.jpg

Then to work with the stitch ripper to remove all the original fittings and pockets.

Pack%20Bits_zpspuz4xze7.jpg

i) Then a quick bath in Dylon Olive green (while Mrs is out) and a trip to Abbey in Knutsford for some veg tan & brass fittings.

ii) Out with the wind up Singer to relocate pockets.

iii) Top flap reworked & reshaped, piping replaced.

iv) Pack waxed using Barbour wax & hot air gun.

v) A few nights with the scalpel & punch to cut out & punch the straps.

vi) All Leather dyed dark brown and finished with dressing / Neatsfoot.

vii) Several nights with the leather needle, accompanied by a couple of bottles of grenache, to dull the pain.

viii) Brass fittings and rivets fitted - my favourite bit!

ix) Bit of tidying up.

x) Done....

Pack%201_zpshjv30e7g.jpg

Detail of the straps....

Pack%20back_zpsdatfrirj.jpg

And a side view....

Pack%20Side_zpsxutevhpz.jpg

Carrying handle & strap fixing......

Pack%20Handle_zpsbpo7949g.jpg

Axe in sleeve behind pocket....

Pack%20Axe_zps1bwdwgrl.jpg

Swiss water bottle & cup is a nice snug fit...

Pack%20Bottle_zpsgmm1dbfs.jpg

Iso mat, Bivvi Poles & some of my clobber inside.....

Pack%20Inside_zpsf0xvitgh.jpg

All in all I'm really pleased with it.

Only real downside is that the original stitch holes are still visible, but I'm not going to get in a twist over that.

Its been an enjoyable project that hasn't cost a packet and has left me with a pack thats the right size for my purposes, that I'm happy to use & abuse for a few bimbles / bivvi nights with the Scouts & my little lad.

Now on to the next one!

Cheers for looking.

Drew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well done :D
It looks like an entirely different and superb piece of kit now :cool:

I suspect you might just have started something :D

Thanks for the write up :)

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good project there! There's just nothing like turning something into exactly what you need; that's a huge improvement :)

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
That is a top job indeed! very well done.

Quick question: how comfortable is it having a big brass ring right behind you neck? it's a lovely way to fix the straps on, I just wonder if it digs in at all?

James

Jan 30, 2006
Manchester
Hi too be honest its very comfortable - the ring doesn't dig in at all (in fact the pack hangs from it quite happilly). I borrowed the idea for the ring from the Norge Patrol packs which I have always thought were very elegant.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE