Withdrawn Gerber BMF Survival Knife - yet another price drop - unused, never sharpened - £130 + £20 delivery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
There is hope. Visited a tiny one man shop who sends parcels all over the world with just about any courier. Have been there many times for cheap parcel tape. Nice bloke. He thinks the reason some sellers can send is because they have age verification checks in place that will satisfy courier companies (for now).

He said that his type of business (agent) has a slightly different set of rules to adhere to. He can indeed send it as long as the buyer sends him proof of age. He apparently then does a Google check on the address, to make sure it's real.

Problem with that is that I can hardly imagine a casual buyer photocopying a driving license and sending him a copy.

That would explain why knife makers/shops can post large survival knives but individuals can't.

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Price on this is now £150 + £20 delivery. Yes, £20 is what he quoted me. Read my first post on the small hoops you'll have to jump through in order to buy it. This local UK based freight forwarder is a small shop that's been trading for years. A thoroughly decent chap. Any verification would be between you and him. He carefully explained to me how as a worldwide forwarding business, he has greater rights/permissions that allow him to send 'difficult' items - that as a private individual I could never gain. I'm guessing it's the ability to verify a purchaser's age and address that does the trick.

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
Yes, I have joined this forum after searching high and low on how to sell a large bladed knife in the UK. No carrier will ship to the USA and eBay won't entertain the thought of selling through them. Crazy!

Story behind this blade:

Many, many years ago, when it was still actually legal to sell and buy all sorts of 'hardware' in the UK, I decided upon this Gerber. Did my research and made a crazy entire day round trip from London to Cornwall, just to pick it up. The seller was a dentist living in a massive Victorian house, who had a separate income from selling firearms and all sorts of other stuff. He told funny stories of mercenaries turning up at his door for repeat purchases :)

I only mention the above to reassure that I personally bought this knife brand spanking new here in the UK, and it has never been used. As it was I took an older well used blade abroad, what with this one looking so perfectly nice and shiny. In summary: it has travelled in a rucksack to my house when new, and has since never left that house. I did clip it on to one or two belts inside to see and feel how it hung. Upon reflection, it was simply too heavy.

Has never been sharpened and has never cut a single thing. Not even a hair on my forearm. The edge still glimmers with its perfect untouched edge, just as it left the factory. The saw back edge is as pristine as the blade, untouched or used. I covered the metal with some special protector oil (Outers I think), and put back into the sheath for long term storage. There could be a touch of oil residue inside the sheath, although I can't detect anything at all. About every five years I've taken it out to check and make sure it's still okay, then put back in the sheath and drawer. If it did come with a box, I have no recollection, or it must have been chucked. We are talking a very long time ago now.

The back of the sheath has a flap protected, tiny knife sharpener (never used); the front a flap protected pocket with the original compass (never used).

I also have a small folding Buck also unused. I'll put that up here soon. As I'm new here, maybe I should have put that up before this big price item.

I'm going to ask £130 + £20 courier delivery for this Gerber. No foreign buyers. Royal Mail have banned Survival type knives from being sent. Requires courier delivery @ £20

Bottom line: after much investigation, seems I can have a UK agent (freight forwarder) send it to you via one of the big UK courier companies. However, this agent requires proof of age to be sent to him first, in compliance with UK law. A Google check will then be done on the address to make sure it exists. As a private individual, my hands are tied. If interested, message me for further details.
Are you in the UK, is this knife still for sale

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
Sounds like your too honest for your own good, I'd just wrap it up and get RM to pick up and deliver 24hrs tracked and signed, I send gun parts like this all the time to get cerakote or reworked

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
What is the issue, age verification, courier or both? I've bought from the knifecenter and the knife connection in the states a good few times or from Heinnie and a few others over here with no issue, when your ready Im interested in the BMF at the advertised price, cheers

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
@DB-71 : if you look on other threads you will see that just "wrapping it up and sending it RM" is not a great idea. @Mervg just got caught out with a knife that was very much NOT a combat knife, RM seized it and threatening to destroy it. Thread link: https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/post-office-destroying-knife-the-end.166315/

A RM employee may not recognise gun parts on (say) an x-ray, but sure as heck they will recognise a knife. [One wonders if staff have been told to be on the lookout for knives sent in any service other than 18-verified? For all we know, they could even be using AI to pick out "knife-shaped things" for further checks when screening on an x-ray machine. Wouldn't particularly surprise me].

GC

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
@DB-71 : if you look on other threads you will see that just "wrapping it up and sending it RM" is not a great idea. @Mervg just got caught out with a knife that was very much NOT a combat knife, RM seized it and threatening to destroy it. Thread link: https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/post-office-destroying-knife-the-end.166315/

A RM employee may not recognise gun parts on (say) an x-ray, but sure as heck they will recognise a knife. [One wonders if staff have been told to be on the lookout for knives sent in any service other than 18-verified? For all we know, they could even be using AI to pick out "knife-shaped things" for further checks when screening on an x-ray machine. Wouldn't particularly surprise me].

GC
Do RM xray parcels by routine? I can buy knives of all kinds over here, in Europe and shipped from the US no problem, there must be some facility by which to do this, otherwise I suppose its face to face

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Do RM xray parcels by routine? I can buy knives of all kinds over here, in Europe and shipped from the US no problem, there must be some facility by which to do this, otherwise I suppose its face to face

Yes, there is a facility. As per the thread I referenced, RM require that an "18 verified" service is used. (There is some debate whether this is only available to senders with a business account).

So, if you buy an axe from Wood Tools (as I did last week), it will come the next day by RM in an 18-verified service- no problem. Box clearly marked "bladed item verify age over 18" via a sticker on outside (looks like it's a standard sticker applied by RM on consignment by sender). Must be hand-delivered to an adult at the addressee, cannot be left in a Safe Place.

I gather that Hennies now use UPS age-verified for all their bladed items, guess they don't want to be caught in a sudden change of heart by RM, I believe that they changed their policy after RM did the announcement about no longer carrying bladed items then backtracked. But the UPS routine is exactly the same- marked up, handed to adult.

I think that UPS is the only international shipper (from Europe anyway) that does age-verified on international postage- this was why Varusteleka stopped shipping to UK for a while, but now ship again- bladed items are UPS age-verified only.

There's a level of randomness on international postage, I have had some shipments from 'Leka stopped by the Border force, examined and then OK to carry on (they seal it up with special "Border Force" tape so you know they've opened it).

If it's from a retailer, using the correct type of postage/courier (age-verified), is a UK-legal bladed item and the paperwork/declaration is correct- no problem. I expect it's when any of that is incorrect that there are issues.

Most likely that applies domestically too, although possibly RM are giving a focus to looking for knives of late. I get the impression RM has tightened up a lot in the past two or three weeks, perhaps not unrelated to the recent General Election?

I wouldn't be surprised if RM (a) routinely x-ray at least a proportion of packages and (b) use AI to pull out "suspicious" items for manual checks, everything goes via automated mailing centres these days so it's logistically plausable. The technology is up to it, and I expect they will also routinely be looking for items like drugs.

All depends on how lucky the sender and recipient feel I guess; but for me, from now on I have decided that I will stick to using the correct type of postage/courier service as it de-risks the purchase process. If a sender cannot use 18-verified or meet face-to-face then I won't buy.

GC

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
Thats what I mean mate, I don't think they do use X-ray machines routinely to my knowledge as its a lot of faffing for **** all Id say, but in any case I would happily use the 18 verified service

Clayboy

Aug 2, 2024
Sweden
Yes, I have joined this forum after searching high and low on how to sell a large bladed knife in the UK. No carrier will ship to the USA and eBay won't entertain the thought of selling through them. Crazy!

Story behind this blade:

Many, many years ago, when it was still actually legal to sell and buy all sorts of 'hardware' in the UK, I decided upon this Gerber. Did my research and made a crazy entire day round trip from London to Cornwall, just to pick it up. The seller was a dentist living in a massive Victorian house, who had a separate income from selling firearms and all sorts of other stuff. He told funny stories of mercenaries turning up at his door for repeat purchases :)

I only mention the above to reassure that I personally bought this knife brand spanking new here in the UK, and it has never been used. As it was I took an older well used blade abroad, what with this one looking so perfectly nice and shiny. In summary: it has travelled in a rucksack to my house when new, and has since never left that house. I did clip it on to one or two belts inside to see and feel how it hung. Upon reflection, it was simply too heavy.

Has never been sharpened and has never cut a single thing. Not even a hair on my forearm. The edge still glimmers with its perfect untouched edge, just as it left the factory. The saw back edge is as pristine as the blade, untouched or used. I covered the metal with some special protector oil (Outers I think), and put back into the sheath for long term storage. There could be a touch of oil residue inside the sheath, although I can't detect anything at all. About every five years I've taken it out to check and make sure it's still okay, then put back in the sheath and drawer. If it did come with a box, I have no recollection, or it must have been chucked. We are talking a very long time ago now.

The back of the sheath has a flap protected, tiny knife sharpener (never used); the front a flap protected pocket with the original compass (never used).

I also have a small folding Buck also unused. I'll put that up here soon. As I'm new here, maybe I should have put that up before this big price item.

I'm going to ask £130 + £20 courier delivery for this Gerber. No foreign buyers. Royal Mail have banned Survival type knives from being sent. Requires courier delivery @ £20

Bottom line: after much investigation, seems I can have a UK agent (freight forwarder) send it to you via one of the big UK courier companies. However, this agent requires proof of age to be sent to him first, in compliance with UK law. A Google check will then be done on the address to make sure it exists. As a private individual, my hands are tied. If interested, message me for further details.

I am a Swedish knife collector that have been looking for a Gerber BMF Serrated for many years. I actually hold one in my hand in Florida for many years ago but I didnt buy it. Now I have problems to find one unused. Is your still available to buy or it is already sold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE