For Sale Gerber BMF Survival Knife - yet another price drop - unused, never sharpened - £130 + £20 delivery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Yes, I have joined this forum after searching high and low on how to sell a large bladed knife in the UK. No carrier will ship to the USA and eBay won't entertain the thought of selling through them. Crazy!

Story behind this blade:

Many, many years ago, when it was still actually legal to sell and buy all sorts of 'hardware' in the UK, I decided upon this Gerber. Did my research and made a crazy entire day round trip from London to Cornwall, just to pick it up. The seller was a dentist living in a massive Victorian house, who had a separate income from selling firearms and all sorts of other stuff. He told funny stories of mercenaries turning up at his door for repeat purchases :)

I only mention the above to reassure that I personally bought this knife brand spanking new here in the UK, and it has never been used. As it was I took an older well used blade abroad, what with this one looking so perfectly nice and shiny. In summary: it has travelled in a rucksack to my house when new, and has since never left that house. I did clip it on to one or two belts inside to see and feel how it hung. Upon reflection, it was simply too heavy.

Has never been sharpened and has never cut a single thing. Not even a hair on my forearm. The edge still glimmers with its perfect untouched edge, just as it left the factory. The saw back edge is as pristine as the blade, untouched or used. I covered the metal with some special protector oil (Outers I think), and put back into the sheath for long term storage. There could be a touch of oil residue inside the sheath, although I can't detect anything at all. About every five years I've taken it out to check and make sure it's still okay, then put back in the sheath and drawer. If it did come with a box, I have no recollection, or it must have been chucked. We are talking a very long time ago now.

The back of the sheath has a flap protected, tiny knife sharpener (never used); the front a flap protected pocket with the original compass (never used).

I also have a small folding Buck also unused. I'll put that up here soon. As I'm new here, maybe I should have put that up before this big price item.

I'm going to ask £130 + £20 courier delivery for this Gerber. No foreign buyers. Royal Mail have banned Survival type knives from being sent. Requires courier delivery @ £20

Bottom line: after much investigation, seems I can have a UK agent (freight forwarder) send it to you via one of the big UK courier companies. However, this agent requires proof of age to be sent to him first, in compliance with UK law. A Google check will then be done on the address to make sure it exists. As a private individual, my hands are tied. If interested, message me for further details.

Attachments

• P1060122.JPG
    P1060122.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 68
  • P1060121.JPG
    P1060121.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P1060120.JPG
    P1060120.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 59
  • P1060119.JPG
    P1060119.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1060118.JPG
    P1060118.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P1060117.JPG
    P1060117.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1060116.JPG
    P1060116.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P1060115.JPG
    P1060115.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P1060123.JPG
    P1060123.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1060132.JPG
    P1060132.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1060128.JPG
    P1060128.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1060127.JPG
    P1060127.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P1060126.JPG
    P1060126.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Yep, I agree with you on that. All that space and big trees :) Alas, eBay won't allow me to sell on their UK site, and by extension I can't sell from the UK through their USA site. All these new rules and regulations. Even if I could, there appears to be no carrier that will ship something like this to the USA. Apparently they used to, but not any more.

I've read of people saying, "Just say it's a tool and it should get through fine". Yet they fail to mention that if it doesn't get through it'll be confiscated without being returned.

Tricky...

Thanks anyway. Appreciate the thought

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
The easy answer is to take a short holiday to the USA and take it with you in packed luggage and sell it while over there. Arrange the buyer in advance.
The crazy prices the Yanks pay for these would pay for the fare

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Ha, ha! I have a brother who Captains a front loading Jumbo cargo jet for Atlas. Flies out of Georgia. They ship missiles, mil hardware and troops across the globe as a private contractor... and even he couldn't get it over there for me. They'd simply grab it as his luggage went through the scanner.

We laughed about it. Missiles but no knives!

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Think the problem is getting it onto a plane out of the UK.

Edit: deleted this paragraph, as I don't want to upset anyone with words about small arms etc.

I'm actually worried about my sharp sense of humour. Might I need a license for it?

Last edited:

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Why can't you ship it with a courier like TNT or someone? And it is acceptable in hold luggage on a plane so your brother could always do that

Sent from underground

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Why can't you ship it with a courier like TNT or someone? And it is acceptable in hold luggage on a plane so your brother could always do that

Sent from underground
TNT looks promising. Thanks for that. I also noticed that FedEx might be a possibility too. I do know that Royal Mail backed down very recently on their 'no knives' policy for things like folders etc, but 'not' survival knives.

Not sure if my brother is allowed anything other than carry-on. Even then, I'd guess that it wouldn't be allowed in the cockpit. I'll ask. Actually, he has to plane it back to the continent to pickup his plane again, with all the complications that involves. Not from the UK direct as I stated. Only gets here once a year, and that would now be early 2025.

Appreciate the reply.

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Update: I've been on the phone to TNT - who are in the process of being swallowed up by FedEx. Was therefore put through to FedEx customer service. After an age of double checking they said No! FedEx cannot ship my knife either internally (UK to UK) or even UK to USA.

I'll leave the advert up here until month end, just in case I come up with another solution.

Del477

Feb 27, 2022
telford
"I'll have to do a bit of investigating and see if any other UK carriers will post it."

Heinnie Haynes ship bladed articles with UPS and DPD without any issues.

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
KKK in Nepal use DHL to ship their khukris
Have you tried DHL or is it simply a UK limit thing??

To summarise from DHL (copied & pasted the relevant bit from above page):

WHAT YOU CAN'T SEND
Hazardous and dangerous items
Bladed items
including but not limited to knives and cutters

Thanks anyway Moondog55

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
"I'll have to do a bit of investigating and see if any other UK carriers will post it."

Heinnie Haynes ship bladed articles with UPS and DPD without any issues.
I'll take a look. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's a large survival knife with a saw back. Many other utility blades are allowed with various carriers (even Royal Mail) including folders. You can even buy some of the smaller knives in certain shops if old enough.

Much stricter laws are coming in later this year - or so I read a few months ago. A lot of it centres around what the knife looks like and if it has lettering on it suggest 'menace'. Really don't understand much of it.

Will give a look at those two anyway. Thanks.

Reactions: Del477

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Just quickly reading the DHL website it seems you CAN send blades if you have an existing account. Try a phone call to a local freight forwarding business and ask.
But it does also look like a UK specific bit of nonsense as I looked at the American and Australian sites to see no mention of blades or sharps being unable to be sent. Anyway good luck with the sale.
Luckily we can use ordinary post here in Oz still.

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Looks like that is a UK only ban.
I find it interesting that they say knives and blades are in the same class as nitroglycerine.
In the UK you need a licence to carry a single sheet of paper. And... any supplier caught selling one can face serious fines. A 500 sheet closed ream is fine. Just make sure it's closed though, and that the police don't find you carrying it opened in a car.

Why you may ask? Paper cuts. A nasty way to go!

Reactions: AndyH

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Just quickly reading the DHL website it seems you CAN send blades if you have an existing account. Try a phone call to a local freight forwarding business and ask.
But it does also look like a UK specific bit of nonsense as I looked at the American and Australian sites to see no mention of blades or sharps being unable to be sent. Anyway good luck with the sale.
Luckily we can use ordinary post here in Oz still.
Will do. Thanks again.

Del477

Feb 27, 2022
telford
I'll take a look. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's a large survival knife with a saw back. Many other utility blades are allowed with various carriers (even Royal Mail) including folders. You can even buy some of the smaller knives in certain shops if old enough.

Much stricter laws are coming in later this year - or so I read a few months ago. A lot of it centres around what the knife looks like and if it has lettering on it suggest 'menace'. Really don't understand much of it.

Will give a look at those two anyway. Thanks.
Heinnie will quite happily send this to you!!

spokenword

Subscriber
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Firstly, I don't want get the moderator angry by having a 'for sale' thread turn into a 'how to' thread. Hope that won't be an issue. If so, feel free to cut and move the extra stuff to somewhere with a new title of your choosing.

Thanks, here is the DPD UK link. I called Hennie and they use DPD. Yes, I filtered the list for UK:

Here's the cut and pasted bit from above link that matters:

Prohibited Items:
The following items (or any item similar in description or content) cannot be carried on any service.
Any person sending such an item may be subject to their order being cancelled without notice:

United Kingdom
Knives

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE