gents walking staff

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
getting on abit, knees starting to make noises, like to blend in with the elements or perhaps (altho you'd hate to admit it) you tend to get disorientated!!!! Then the camo staff could be just what your looking for;

comes with trusty compass;

4-strand-heel-knot.jpg

made from strong para cord;

bottom-continous-crowning.jpg

features near full length camo braiding

top-of-staff.jpg

plus no staff would be complete without a spiky alpine point with rubber covering for all those occasions when a silent approiach is needed.

just finished this in time for xmas - hope its as hot and lovely with all as it is up here in sunny highlands!!!

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
cheers for all the comments - I'd like to say that the making process is easy and just a matter of reapatition and took only 3 days to make, but thats like the difference between walking out of victoria station and knowing where your going to not having a damn clue (altho the compass on the stick would help here!!!!).

I've spent years learning this stuff to get near to as good to do this sort of thing but I still need the instruction books. But for those interested in the inners of the thing - the main braid is done in the fashion of argentinian fid work (a pdf tutorial shows this process) - the top knot is a 4 strand heel knot - the bottom is continous crowning - the strap is 523 from ashleys book.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Troy, that's truly amazing work - you must have the patience of a saint to do all that braiding!
I have a question about it - how does the braiding hold its position when put under pressure by the user's hand? I mean, say you're leaning on the stick to walk up an incline, does the braiding move under your hand?
The question is kind of related to my posting which you kindly replied to - thanks for that BTW.
I have a lot of paracord I was considering using for a handle grip but the thing that stopped me was the thought that it doesn't grip the wood particularly well and might shift under pressure, whereas leather might bite into the wood better and stand up to hard wear particularly if its soaked well before being wound onto the stick.
Cheers,
Steve

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
I have a question about it - how does the braiding hold its position when put under pressure by the user's hand? I mean, say you're leaning on the stick to walk up an incline, does the braiding move under your hand?

good question and yes over alot of time or use it may loosen off slightly but not enough to mean it will all unwind. I have an old yew stick which I covered in leather 2-3mm lace about 5 years ago and use it in my local cairngorms summer, winter where I have used it as a stick and wedged in rocks when strambling to help me up - naturally this means it has got wet, cold then dried alot and has lossened off, as for paracord I am not sure if it would lossen off as much as it is not a natural substance but sweat would make it seem slippery.

In the end it is all about getting the strings tight on the knot etc. This pdf tutorial has goes some way to explain about braided knots and has a patten might suit your needs.
One other thing, if you use leather do not coat in neatsfoot oil - its great for bags etc which are not under strain but detremental to lace - I find aussie leather conditioner is great to treat lace with.

Plus as you probably know, proper paracord (that which has 5 or more inner strands like sold here) needs to be pre-stretched if the inner strands are left in to prevent shrinkage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE