Genius walking stick idea!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some of you know I have a trick back and have to walk on (two) sticks when it plays up. Let me tell you that its damn all fun on ice.

Today I cam across this little beauty

CXu9DAIUQAAyAYY.jpg

Its a crampon for walking sticks. Stays permanently fitted but folds up when not needed and costs only £6.72. Like a lot of good ideas, very simple, but clever

http://www.horseandhoof.eu/ice-cane-attachment-50071-p.asp

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can take the rubber ferrule off my walking pole and it has an ice breaker tip underneath - I use that it real bad weather, but for taking the weight off my back, an old fashioned bentwood ash walking stick or Derby handled cane is superior (and cheaper).

Don't know if ice breakers are common on other walking poles?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Some of you know I have a trick back and have to walk on (two) sticks when it plays up. Let me tell you that its damn all fun on ice.

Today I cam across this little beauty

CXu9DAIUQAAyAYY.jpg

Its a crampon for walking sticks. Stays permanently fitted but folds up when not needed and costs only £6.72. Like a lot of good ideas, very simple, but clever

http://www.horseandhoof.eu/ice-cane-attachment-50071-p.asp

Thanks for the heads up, very reasonable with their prices and that is a very useful bit of kit, at the moment we are mainly wearing snorkel and flippers:)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Maybe not always practical BR, but have you thought about crutches when your back gets really bad? The crutches take the weight from your shoulders, give you mobility but allow your back time off.

Smart bit of kit for the walking sticks though... wouldn't take too much modification to attach them to walking poles.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Practical :D
Wonder if they make something like that for the walking poles ?

M

Yep, as above, all the decent walking poles have a carbide tip under the rubber ferrule and they are replaceable on the good ones. I've never had a slip using a carbide tip, they really bite well.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I literally just seen these last night whilst watching a Norwegian tv show and wondered where i might get some, cheers Red

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Eden Mobility Stores sell the crampon type spike (if you happen to have one in your area) I have one on a couple of the sticks I use when it's icy/snowy they work great on roads and pavements etc. but be careful around longish grass type materials they have a nasty habit of 'snagging'.

D.B.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Lee Valley sells a similar idea attachment. It replaces the rubber tip with a ferule that has both a removable (screwed) rubber tip and a steel spike replacement tip.
All my staffs that I make for friends have them, good as a third leg when in need.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Best MYOG solution I ever found for this is to get a handfull of "road nails" from a farrier, drill three small holes in the bottom of your stick and glue the nails in so as just enough of the tungsten carbide protrudes from the bottom of the stick. You can then fit a decent rubber ferrule over these tips for when you're walking and don't want the otherwise ever-present clack clack on stone or tarmac.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got the Lee Valley Veritas tip on my cane. Just a bit icy 24/7 here. Most reassuring when I'm out and having a "wobbly" day with my sense of balance.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I have installed a few dozen of the previously mentioned variety from Lee Valley. I got a tapered cutter (pencil sharpener style) to facilitate fit. Epoxy and a screw finish the fitting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE