General Purpose knife recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Hi All,

I have been using a Gerber Moment Folding Sheath - Drop Point FE as my 'general purpose' work knife for a while now and it has proved to be excellent, a good balance between size, weight and blade/ overall length.

Specifications

Overall Length: 8.5" (21.59 cm)
Closed Length: 5.13" (13.03 cm)
Blade Length: 3.5" (8.89 cm)
Weight: 5.6 oz. (158.76 g)
Steel Type: 5Cr15MoV
Handle Material: Nylon core with rubber overmold

Unfortunately my business partner borrowed my Gerber and through misuse managed to snap the point off :cussing:

Before he buys me a new one I thought I'd ask the sharps experts on BCUK if they would recommend an alternative which might have better features/ quality. A quick look on t'interweb shows that he'll have to fork out about £30 for a replacement Gerber of the same model, so this is the budget I'd be looking at.

As I say it isn't a bushcrafting knife, its a general purpose work knife, any recommendations gratefully received (even if it's to get the same one again).

Cheers

Steve

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Have a look here:

http://www.exduct.com/

I've bought a couple of the Enlan knives that I use a work, you can't fault them for the price and it won't end in tears if your business partner snaps the tip again! Probably made in the same factories that make the Gerber knives too!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Don't waste your money on a Buck 110... the modern ones are junk. Get an old one by all means but avoid the new ones like a frisky womble. (don't believe me.. read here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1057047-Are-you-serious-Buck )

I can vouch for several models from the Rough rider line, you can get a folding lock knife just like the Buck 110 but for alot less, infact the locking knife from them I have only cost £3 and is better in every way than the 110 that cost over 10 times that!

lovely little pocket knife, it sits nicely in drawer at the mo' but it'll make a great little hunting knife or tool box knife.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't waste your money on a Buck 110... the modern ones are junk. Get an old one by all means but avoid the new ones like a frisky womble. ...

Yeah the Chinese made ones aren't so great. But you can still get the US made ones if you look hard enough. All that said, it's the design I like and there are several brands other than Buck out there.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'd go with a Spyderco Tenacious

or perhaps a Victorinox Soldier if you can live with the serrations, atleast has other tools for prying.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've read all the posts. As a working blade, I have to agree with swotty about the Tenacious, it really is an excellent knife for the money. It's comfortable in hand, tough, quite slicy, and can butter a roll or slice cheese etc. It's also a decent size for the tasks and comfy in hand.

Having owned many knives over the years, the Tenacious still has that special touch for me. Jack of all trades knife, you won't be disappointed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've carried a SAK Prince(?) model for many, many years.
I've rarely ever needed anything more/better for daily chores,
the odd bit of wiring and so on.

Work knife? What's work? Might as well fit the tool to the jobs you mostly encounter.
I have an inherent distrust of folders for prying things.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Many thanks for the recommendations, I shall have to find somewhere that has some/ most of those blades mentioned in stock so that I can handle them before making a choice.

Cheers Chaps

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE