Gelert Solo tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I do a fair bit of hill walking but last week I had my first foray into backpacking with a tent. Me and a mate spent three days walking round the lake district camping in campsites- so we could get grub and beer nearby without having to carry it.

It was a new experience for me and I absolutely loved it. I had bought a Gelert Solo tent for the trip because I wanted something light. When it arrived I couldn't believe how tiny the pack size and weight was and was worried it wouldn't be up to scratch.

Having used it for three nights now in strong winds and very heavy rain I have to say I am well impressed. This is not much bigger than a bivvy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone much taller than me, I'm 5ft 9 and just squeezed in with a rucksack as a pillow . There was just enough room between the inner and outer tent for my boots, but not enough for my rucksack ( maybe enough for a day sack).

I can't say how well it will stand up to long term use but for one ( short) person, for just over twenty quid I was very impressed.

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I have one of these wee tents too and find it fantastic for simple overnighters. A great wee tent at a good price.

The only bug that I have is that the door opens on the right hand side whilst my sleeping bag opens on the left. It takes a bit of grunting and shuffling to get my ample frame into a comfy position for sleeping. (Can't turn the sleeping bag over as it has a hood).

If I was to buy a small tent again one of the things that I would be looking for is that there is either two openings, or that the opening is atleast on the same side as the sleeping bag.

Alan.

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
Just received the 2010 Gelert Solo in the post today an absolute steal at £23 with free delivery. Ill let you know what its like as soon as i have pitched it.

Im planning on a DD Tarp and Travel Hammock combo as well just in case of emergency!! The tarp will provide a good sized atrium addition for the solo in a pinch to get rid of the "no space for pack, pack gets wet" issue as well as the other problems that arise with such a small tent that has no porch to speak of.

The only issue i have with it is that finding a sleep mat to fit in it will be a challenge because of the tapering design. how did you solve the problem nomad? im thinking of using one of those silvered foamy ones. Cut to shape of the inner tent and placed underneath it to protect the tent base whilst giving me a bit of a thermal layer but no comfort lol. then perhaps a 3/4 self-inflater for a bed platform.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get one for £23, I had a look at getting one of these in January and found one for sale at £17.99 since then the price has doubled.
£23 delivered is very tempting.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am planning a trip to Datmoor in July and have decided to use a Gelert Solo
In order to overcome soome of the issues I have made some minor mods
Tyvek sheet cut to fit under tent and provide a dryish area outside tent
Add an extra goy line or two on door flaps to enable a bit of a canopy/shelter for cooking-I intend to use a gas stove with windshield
I have cut down a Blacks sleeping mat which I already had for summer hammock camping Will experiment with under tent this weekend
Also using Ti pegs
Anybody else got anything to increase the function of this light but tight tent?

Last edited:

robwa10

Jun 17, 2010
England
I've got a Gelert Solo as well that I bought off of Amazon for around £23 delivered. I've done a review on a blog here http://rob-thegreatoutdoors.blogspot.com/

I didn't actually get to do my camping trip in May, so I still haven't used it for an extended period. I've been converted to the tarpside as well now so I'm probably going to bung it on Ebay or something to shift it as I won't use it now. Although at one nights sleep in the garden it could almost be classed as unused.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
robwa10 describes the Gelert Solo as a bivvy tent on his review; I think that sums it up perfectly.

This tent has to be about the lightest and cheapest (and smallest !) tent available. If you treat it purely as somewhere to sleep in, protected from the elements and bugs you'll be fine.

Used with a small tarp or even a poncho would give you a useful lounge/kitchen area when you are not sleeping in it.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I think they are great value and they will stand up to most conditions. Another 6 inches in length would be nice (steady ladies) but my main bug bear is that it's like sleeping in a chuffin coffin. Other than that highly recommended, I'll be loading it on the canoe again soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE