Gelert Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adamlk172

Apr 21, 2013
England
I'm new to bushcraft and camping in general and was wondering if anyone had any experience with gelert, specifically the gelert shadow rucksack as i'm looking at buying one.
Thanks in advance,
Adam.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I haven't used one of their rucksacks as i have only ever bought 2 gellert products and both failed to live up to basic camping use so i have avoided the brand since, only worse outdoor brand i have come across is Andes for consistently crappy products. My Gellert campbed broke during its first test use indoors, it was supposed to be able to take 120kilo and i am only 94k, i contacted the company specifically about it and they just fobbed me off

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've had a few bits of Gelert gear and for some stuff they are ok, but for a pack I think you could get better for your money. If you could go up to £80, I'd take a look at a Lowe Alpine Kibo. I have a similar model and haver found it very good.

Depending what your looking for you could get a surplus rucksack for the same money, personally I'd go with a civvy pack if your looking to do some hiking too.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They tend to apply their badge to all sorts of third party gear also found as kampa, yellowstone, Lichfield etc. I've had bad stuff and good stuff. My sleeping bag is very good for the price.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Generally speaking it's a brand I avoid, useful sometimes for this like cheap pegs, or a sacrificial groundsheet, but I wouldn't use them for anything I depend upon.

If you want a cheap pack, investigate the surplus market.

J

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
hmmmm 76 litres for £26 quid does sound like a good deal, your fine to post links and names on here as long as your no affiliated etc. also where have you seen the good/bad reviews?

adamlk172

Apr 21, 2013
England
hmmmm 76 litres for £26 quid does sound like a good deal, your fine to post links and names on here as long as your no affiliated etc. also where have you seen the good/bad reviews?

ahh thanks i wondered since being new whether I had a set amount of time/posts before I could share links.
I searched about the website (field and trek) on trustpilot, with the majority being bad reviews, but there are some good in there from trusted reviewers, and after all we most likely don't review a good product.
I hear/see quite a few gelert products on various websites but never many reviews on a specific product, i just assumed they were alright due to being on various websites

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used a few bits of Gelert kit, nothing I'd particularly want to depend on but fine for more leisurely pursuits like car camping etc

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I agree with Copper_head, Gelert is at the lower end of the market, and although not bad, you can buy better for the money. I'd second Lowe Alpine. I've had my Liberty 70+20 for over ten years, and its still an excellent bit of kit. The link to the Kibo is a really good price as well. Check out Outdoor Magic's Bargain Thread http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/bargain-alert/7436.html for heads up on kit - you might find a good deal. And sign up for a Cotswold Explorer card - its free, 10% off your first purchase, free catalogue, and you enter a draw each month you buy something. Yes, there are loads of emails, but sometimes a good deal comes up.

Following a tip from OM, found this Berghaus for £72 http://www.gaynors.co.uk/products/clearance/rucksacks/details/i/14001-47esn/n/verden-6510-rucksack.aspx - again, a good solid rucksack for the money.

Copper_head's link to the Berghaus Vulcan was a very good price (although now gone), and if you want to go down the surplus route, try Endicotts. Their grading system is really good, and excellent service. Although they actually do a Gelert pack (the Explorer 65, for £39.99), they might have Vulcan's http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...ps-ii-vulcan-olive-green-1318-detail?Itemid=0 and they have ex-Dutch Army Stings http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...ck-dutch-l-a-sting-d-p-m-2464-detail?Itemid=0 . Designed by Lowe Alpine, and 55L without side pouches, for about £60 you could do well, with perhaps £20 more for a pair of pouches http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/virtuemart/bushcraft-on-woods-126/webbing-pouch-side-pocket-british-individual-o-g--1577- detail?Itemid=0

The Stings get great reviews, but give Endicotts a ring and ask them for some guidence. They are really helpful, and won't steer you wrong. Either way, good surplus or decent entry level civvie bag would be fine. Don't go for something thats really cheap - price and value are not the same.

Last edited:

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Always good to spend more money on gear that you want to rely on....but having said that I've got Gelert Solo and it's great for the money, best 25quid ever spend on a tent hehe.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE