GB Axe Stone: Natural or Ceramic?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the natural stone one, although it will maintain an edge it will not take out chips, and it is quite slow going I wish I had gone for a DMT double sided file now, with coarse and fine sides.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I wouldn't bother with any thing like that. The only time I've ever bothered doing more than a standard knife style sharpening on an axe is when there are dents and edge damage. And then its easier and faster to use a small file!

Funny actually, I'm at a family members house ATM and there old axe is beaten to hell! But I Cant find a file! Its really really bugging me!

If yo want an all in one package like a stone claims to offer then a DMT diamond sharpener would be good. I've heard good things about them and I have used diamond blocks on my beaten up axes in the past pretty effectively.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The GB axe stone is intended to be used after filing - they also sell two double sided files (one coarse I think b@stard grade, one two grades of diamond). I think the GB axe files are excellent quality but a scary price - but short 3" files are hard to find. The puck works fine - I have the natural one - for its intended honing purpose - but as said if the blade is far gone its not the right tool. Having several grades of sharpener - from aggressive metal removal to fine polishing does make sense - no one tool can both remove lots of metal quickly and give a good finish.

If I needed a field sharpener for an axe from the GB school it would be the diamond file.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have the ceramic stone and diamond file and they are both the gransfors ones. Great quality and keep my axes lovel and sharp! :)

Hope this helps! :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I use the Lansky Puck stone, which is about a quarter of the price of a GB puck stone, and it works brilliantly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE