Gatehouse of Fleet and round about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm working in Gatehouse of Fleet at the end of April.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for camp sites nearby ?

There will probably be a group of seven females, and though we're fine with woodland and no faciilities, since we're working it'd be good to have showers on site.

cheers,
Toddy

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Depends what you are looking for but these are the ones I have camped at. Our tent is 2MX6M 8 person tent and they were all ok with a tent of that size although it was a bit tight at Auchenlarie on the pitch we chose.

The Brighouse bay campsite (http://www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=128) has good a good shower block and woud get a recommendation from my wife. Family orientated with Static caravans on site as well but also has a leisure center (swimming pool + bar) on site that you can use. The bar does food as well although we never tried it.

Auchenlarie (http://www.auchenlarie.co.uk/) is the closest to Gatehouse of Fleet we have stayed at. Was very windy when we went this time last year as it is at the top of a cliff next to the sea and we were the only tent on site. Lots of familys appeared to be living on site and there is an american diner styyle cafe on site. Reasonable toilet block but we used the showers at the onsite swimming pool

There was another site in the area but it was at Loch Ken and might be a bit too far out.

If you have a chance you might want to drop in to The Cocoa Bean Company (http://www.thecocoabeancompany.com/) and make your own easter eggs.

Richard

R

roy1

Hi there you could also try mossyard it's right next to the beaches and it's a nice site and cheaper than Auchanlarie. That's probably the closest site to gatehouse and to be fair I would reccomend them all.

Mossyard for a lovely quiet site
Auchanlarie if you want a bar, food, swimming etc

choices choices :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, knowing us, quiet site would suit most of us best :)The showers are a necessity now; don't ask, but it involves glitter :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I think Mossyard is the one SWMBO and I stayed at. Gets very, very windy but sweet little place.

Loads and loads of mussels about when we were there too. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, and welcome to the forum :D

Thank you for the information, (the link doesn't work, but I googled and found the Rev. Mike Binks, Strathley's)

It would be interesting to hear how you get on at the site, but if it's run with religious, i.e. Christian overtones, it will most likely not go down well with this company.

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 2, 2010
Dumfries & Galloway
Thanks for the welcome :) the Binks guy was the old owner, it's now run by a young couple who to be fair I haven't met but sound lovely on the phone, which is all good 'cause this particular company tends not to go down too well with the Christians either :) :) but I shall let you know how it goes anyway

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Theres a site in GOF.
Sandgreen is about 1.5 miles from nirvana (cream of galloway ice cream factory) AND 3-4 MILES away.
Mossyard is a great wee site next to the sea AND 4 MILES away.
Auchinlairie and Brighouse Bay are big family holiday camps with entertainment 7-8 miles away.

Hope you have fun

phil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See your Nirvana ? Well that's where Dharma (my pal Denise) is busy organising the first Fleet Fairy Festival :rolleyes: and she has rounded up all her craftsfolks friends who didn't say they were busy quickly enough, to get dressed up as fairies/ pixies/ wizards.........don't ask, I'm going to look like "sugar plum in hiking boots" :eek: :eek: and put up parachute and yurts and the like and make things with kids, for her, in their woodlands.

Thing is Dharma has a one bedroom flat, so me and Trishbo and company are looking at camping 'cos there's no way we're driving down that day, working and then driving back home straight away.

Madam has also been constructing wings (wings :eek:.......I ask you, do I look like I'm going to suit wings !!!) with lots of glitter..........:( I hate glitter :rolleyes:
Trishbo's wee ones are going to love all this though :) so we'd really like a kind of quiet woodland site with decent loo and shower block.

Still not quite sure how she got me roped into this one.........probably karma for something knowing Dharma. I thought she'd forgiven me for the sheep :rolleyes:

cheers,
Mary

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
I, EYE SHEEP you cant mention carmar and sheep with out the full story and leave us hanging so time to spill the beeens toddy

drew

ps is it just my dirty mind thinking there is some thing sinister be hind been forgiven for an incident involving sheep lol

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Is 11 miles away too far? I camped at Castle Cary, Creetown, some years back, brilliant site with lots of amenities including fishing for me and a nice bar. I pitched at the bottom of a lovely hill with buzzards soaring above, must go back there one day. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, it's not that interesting :rolleyes:

We get a fair bit of work demonstrating at park events run by countryside rangers and land services.
A couple of years ago I was told that the budget would stretch to two other people at the open day at the inner city farm, so I roped in a couple of friends, one of whom was Dharma.
The idea was I'd show folks how to spin, let them have a shot, make things with the kids to take away, with a side order display of natural dyes.
Dharma was going to do the feltmaking using some of the naturally dyed wools, get the kids carding and soaping, working at it.

I forgot to tell her that most of the wool for the felt making was still on the sheep ;) and when the shearer got it's jacket off it was still warm, smelly, complete with dags (stick on to the backside bits).
D. had come dressed hippy pretty :) not her usual ready to get mucky clothes.
Womanfully, she screwed up her face, said, "Sometimes this job .......gonnae no' go there." and got on with tearing off sheep****ty bits of wool and then carded the rest of the kind of aromaful fleece. It got everywhere.
So much for going out straight afterwards though :sigh:

cheers,
Mary

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Ahhh glitter Mary,my most hated man made decoration.

Slade playing with Wizard too?...:lmao:

Cannae help with sites as i've never used them down there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I could have gret when Dharma said wings and glitter in the same sentence :sigh:

One day, revenge will be so sweet :D

cheers,
Mary

p.s. Oh and the fire making wizard is Peter :D :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE