gas bottle stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I wanted to have ago making a wood burner for the yurt. I saw a link for this set of youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveAI?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

I'd got a bottle from the tip, extracted the valve.. after making sure it was empty....
valve2.jpg

Filled it with water and left it for a day or two, then cut it up with a grinder, drill, files...

gasbottle1.jpg

gasbottle2.jpg

gasbottle3.jpg

I got some flat bar and cut/curved it to fit round the section cut out for the door...

gasbottle4.jpg

....and welded it together... My welding is pretty poor, apologies to any welders looking in...

gasbottle5.jpg

gasbottle6.jpg

I made some hinges from the same bar stock and a bit of rod... and fitted the air vent, made form a bit of scaffolding pole I found by a skip... also made a latch.. bits of coach bolts welded onto the bottle to latch onto.

gasbottle7.jpg

gasbottle8.jpg

I couldn't find a free flat piece of 3mm metal for the top, so I bought a bit and welded it on, with a piece of tubing to hold the flue in.... then the whole thing got heated up to burn the paint off. The legs are bits of rod threough the bottle stand

gasbottle11.jpg

Yesterday I painted it with high temp paint and Joe fired it up to cure the paint...

gasbottle12.jpg

And cooked some bacon on the top......

gasbottle13.jpg

It was a good project to do, I really need to get on a welding course... I still need to try it out in the yurt, so there is a bit more to do...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You simply can't beat having a go! I couldn't make that, for toffee:) :You_Rock_

absolutely top marks, I like the way you've done the door, to form the overlap all round and the hinges and latch are good too. The whole thing looks really good:)

all the best
Steve

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Excellent John. Just having a look though at the way you have the legs positioned. The single leg at the back, with the weight of the flu-pipes over it, may make it unstable and likely to tip backwards one of these days. I'd have had the double legs at the back and the single at the front.

It's not a criticism, but I've seen one like that go over, pull down the flu pipes and spill a big pan of broth all over the inside of a yurt a couple of years back. The owner welded extra legs at the back to stabilise it.

Eric

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That's not a bad idea Eric, it 'feels' stable, but I should have a go at beefing the support up, perhaps a wider ring for the legs to go into, or weld a bit more on... I'd also thought about a fire brick in the bottom of the container to act as a weight and a heatstore..

I scavenged the pipe from a skip..

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice work JohnC, welding like many hand and eye co-ordinated skills takes practice, am sure you learnt loads in the process, next one the fillets will be even better.
( My brother -in-law uses my welder more than me ,so much so it is in his garage the last 18 months):(

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi mate, great work.

Where did you get the flue pipe from? I have been after making one of these for ages,

Chris

Dunno about him but I find if you go to the local steel stockists theres some offcuts in the skip, give the lads a couple of quid for a pint and amble off with a lump.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE