garden spade with long handle

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just been looking at one of the above, the Bulldog one, as its made in England, anyone got one or a similar type ?.
I have a long handled shovel which i like but don't keep in the van, so it does'nt get as much use because "its not there" when needed, but i have a large digging job(i'm now a self employed gardener)coming up so thought it would help the back.

Rob

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I have a long handled shovel from Aldi. I find that when I'm digging post holes I swap over from the normal spade to the long shovel. It has a flat edge and it is easy to put the earth up the side of the hole and saves bending as the hole gets deeper.

Was using a long spade recently planting trees and managed to beat 2 young lads (both working together) 14 holes to 9.

A great back saver.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I use long handled all metal spades all the time for digging holes for fence posts ,IMO fencing spades are the best if u get a decent make.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Are you talking about the single pole spades
spade3.jpg
or ones with a T handle.

I use both, like them both as it saves me a lot of backache.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks very much for the feed back folks. Its a bulldog make but with a traditional spade blade, if thats the right terminology, the shaped ones shown are the same as the shovel i have.

Gill, the serenity shop in your link are the cheapest, is that where you got yours from, & does the price shown invlude vat ?

Rob

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks very much for the feed back folks. Its a bulldog make but with a traditional spade blade, if thats the right terminology, the shaped ones shown are the same as the shovel i have.

Gill, the serenity shop in your link are the cheapest, is that where you got yours from, & does the price shown invlude vat ?

Rob

Hi Rob i have two and have had mine for over twenty years ,one of the fencing companies i worked for then done its own metal fabricating ,so i got a couple of grafts and cut them down and shaped them and welded on a long galvanised steel tube and put on a t piece.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
It still amazes me to see fencers digging post holes with normal length spades ,the holes are two feet deep so they are bent double taking the soil out ,mine are over 6 feet long so u never need to bend your back.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks again folks. I've orderd the bulldog one, then while surfing the net, found a no2 shovel with long handle on amazon for less than £14 so got that as well, as i've a maintenance job at a big factory, & i found that the best way to deal with moss & weeds in the block paving is to cut them off using a hoe, so i'm hoping the no2 will work the same but cut more in one go.

Gill, i think one of the long posting spades will be my next purchase, thanks for the advice.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE