Gambling with my life

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And just to balance the equality a bit, I'm am a *ahem* 'curvacous and cuddly' woman :)

I like my fat stores. They're the best insurance policy we can have...

And as I found out too late, they're the leading cause of diabetes. I just had my meds changed again; not on Insulin yet but I am on 3 oral and 1 injectable (not insulin) meds for the diabetes alone. Add another 2 meds for hypertension, and 1 more for cholesterol control. These conditions aren't entirely caused by my weight but they are directly related to it..

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Eat what you like, its all about moderation.

My breakfast today was three Weetabix/chopped banana with real milk followed by two thick slices of toast and lemon curd washed down with around 500mls of stand your spoon in coffee, and sweetened condensed milk; it was bloomin lovely. Don't eat that everyday but every now and then ain't going to cut my mortal coil shorter than it is already :)

Enjoy food but just balance it all out over the week.

+1. This is the soundest advise for the vast majority.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Far too many factors for that to be relevant. 40 to 50 years was pretty normal not so long ago for an average value for most folks. What changed was neonate survival rates.

Partly true but not completely. The Inuit have a higher incident of weight related diseases still.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
+1. This is the soundest advise for the vast majority.

My thought as well. If you believed every article in the media you would alternate between every possible thing either killing you or being good for you on a rotating basis!

Just how did our parents and their parents survive without all the multi biotic/low fat/no this/high that gear in the food they eat? From what I understand diets could be pretty rudimentary in places? But did this cause the low mortality seen in years past? Or was the lack of basic foodstuffs the major cause of premature death over other causes like disease?

Can anyone remember the first person in the public eye due to being fat in Britain or is this a late 20th century phenomenon which has crept up on us since the last great war?

Steve.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Partly true but not completely. The Inuit have a higher incident of weight related diseases still.

I think you can chalk that up to the increased consumption of processed foods, not traditional diets. There's not much fat in soda pop eh, but it sure will make you fat if you consume a lot of it. The basic equation is called energy balance, not fat balance.

There's a lot we don't know about what makes people obese. And wherever there is a vacuum of knowledge, there's a glut of myths that step in, especially if there's a buck to be made. There are more diet and nutrition books than you can shake a stick at. It's big business. Most of it is voodoo. Very profitable voodoo.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...There's a lot we don't know about what makes people obese....

There are more diet and nutrition books than you can shake a stick at. It's big business. Most of it is voodoo. Very profitable voodoo.

1. We know EVERYTHING about what makes people obese; you get fat if you take in more calories than you burn.

2. I never read any of those books. I do read literature provided by the FDA on balanced diet and I do have an appointment with my Dr. every 3 months for the last 15 years and a nurse/dietician/diabetic educator every 6 months or so for the same time period. They both drill diet requirements pretty thoroughly and ALL said sources are in agreement.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think you can chalk that up to the increased consumption of processed foods, not traditional diets...

There's not much fat in soda pop eh, but it sure will make you fat if you consume a lot of it...

1. Or perhaps they're just living long enough now for those diseases to show up?

2. Yes but it won't raise your triglycerides or cholesterol levels. At least not directly.

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Yes but what's the average life expectancy of an Innuit? 40 years? 50?

Average life expectancy of an Inuit person today is about 68 years, more than 10 years less than the rest of the population.
In the native communities today, obesity (and diabetes, amongst others) is a big problem. Traditional foods are being replaced by junk food, namely potato chips, soda pop, chocolate bars and fried foods like KFC, hamburgers etc.
For centuries they had their traditional foods. Now, mostly in the last century and in particular in this area in the last 50 years or so, their diet has drastically changed.
Their metabolisms cannot adapt to the garbage that we're used to eating, not in such a short time.
Today's lifestyle for a lot of people is not physical. Between that and our tendency to eat processed foods, it's no wonder people are overweight.
How many of us had or still have grandparents that worked very hard all their lives yet lived into their 90's, or more, and that after eating all kinds of fatty foods like cream, butter, bacon and so on all their lives? They worked it off.
Little exercise, processed food, additives, junk-it all adds up. Literally.
Right or wrong, that's my opinion;)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been working as a scientist in this field for over 20 years now and this is the first I've heard this. It just goes to show that you learn something new every day on the internet.

It's much like the scientists working in every field imaginable that get grants to study the obvious; if you eat too much and don't exercise enough, you get fat. I knew that even BEFORE I started diet counseling with my Dr. Even looooong before the internet.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Average life expectancy of an Inuit person today is about 68 years, more than 10 years less than the rest of the population.
In the native communities today, obesity (and diabetes, amongst others) is a big problem. Traditional foods are being replaced by junk food, namely potato chips, soda pop, chocolate bars and fried foods like KFC, hamburgers etc...Right or wrong, that's my opinion;)

Probably largely right. The only thing I would add though is what I said to hoodoo; Their current lifespan (being longer than it was just a few decades ago) might also be allowing conditions to develop that usually don't show up in younger people, therefore wouldn't have shown up a few decades ago anyway.

BTW candy bars, potato chips, and fried foods are all high fat.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
There's alot of goodness in natural fats and in moderation are important to our diets. Eating heavily calorific foods with little nutrition is when it's a problem. Like has been said, our brains crave calories and the majority of obese people don't crave salad!

I've gained weight over the years but I am less active and drink alot of alchohol. I don't like chocolate or sweets but can eat fruit all day, after a while I get a craving for salt so I eat cured meat like salami or peperami.

The diabetes problem in America is shocking, 1 person diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every 17 seconds. 10% of their population suffers from it and it's because of the sugar and no exercise.

Some people claim salt and fat will make you die younger but I don't think so. Fats found in fresh dairy and nuts have lots of beneficial nutrition and adding salt to your fresh meals is far better the ammounts stuffed into premade meals.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm with you spamfit ;-) one plate of english complete with bacon dip made with dripping for me today . Good health . An with winter on its way , a few extra tasty calories are welcome B-)