Gambling with my life

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've never been convinced that eating fat makes you fat - after all, it's all broken down in the gut & sugar/carbs are much easier to break down & thus convert into fat.

That's why I've started using dripping - cook with it, spread it on toast (with salt & pepper) & use it to season my cast iron pans. Tastes much better than veggie oil & I understand that because it can reach higher temperatures, frying in it is slightly healthier as the food absorbs less

If I die of a massive coronary before Christmas then feel free to say "I told you so" but until then, I'm living in Flavour Country!

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I'm with you Spandit, if it tastes good i eat it never mind the fat content, and anyway who wants to live forever there's already one cliff richard on the planet.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I've read Graham Harvey's book; "We want real food". In that he tells how the fat content of meat is where the trace elements and nutrients are stored. The problem is that our animals are fed an artificial diet low in these nutrients and that even the grass pasture is low in nutrients. This just leaves the fat full of empty calories.
Ask an innuit which bit of a narwhal he eats first!

Z

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I've never been convinced that eating fat makes you fat..."

I think you are correct, having moved from Scotland to Hungary, a country where folks chew on pig and goose fat as the British might do on crisps and where fat is the main ingredient for almost anything, I am if anything slimmer then before I arrived.

Apparently some plum brandy helps your digestion a bit, and is recommended at breakfast time or before operating heavy machinery of any kind. :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If all those low-fat foods really taste as good as the full fat version (and they don't), why would anyone buy the full fat version in the first place? The fact is that a lot of the molecules that we detect for flavour are soluble in fat, not water. Therefore, removing fat removes the flavour.

Feel free to eat full fat food and enjoy the taste, but you also have to expend more calories in excercise and activity to offset it. If you do that, it is fine. The trouble is that jobs and lifestyles are increasingly sedentary, so spending those calories is hardfer.

Interesting thread on a forum full of overweight middle-aged men :) I'm one.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Blame evolution - we're hard programmed to find calories (sugar or fat) tasty as these are the foods that are most valuable to a nomadic species that can't guarantee when the next food will turn up on the plate. But if you do have a slow metabolism console yourself in the fac,t that if the turd does hit the fan, your body is actually extremely efficient at processing and storing energy. At least that's what I tell myself anyway... :p

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Interesting thread on a forum full of overweight middle-aged men :) I'm one.
And just to balance the equality a bit, I'm am a *ahem* 'curvacous and cuddly' woman :)

I like my fat stores. They're the best insurance policy we can have... its a bit like the hyped market for 'mucus' problems where the business is worth so much, the paranoia is a marketing tool. I was a bit worried too see those fabulous pouch packs pack a featherweight 250odd kcals each... not much for an outdoor meal :S

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
'Cor, dripping buttie with salt n pepper.
my nan first introduced me to one of these using the beef dripping from sunday dinner. i've never been able to get enough since.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Eat what you like, its all about moderation.

My breakfast today was three Weetabix/chopped banana with real milk followed by two thick slices of toast and lemon curd washed down with around 500mls of stand your spoon in coffee, and sweetened condensed milk; it was bloomin lovely. Don't eat that everyday but every now and then ain't going to cut my mortal coil shorter than it is already :)

Enjoy food but just balance it all out over the week.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Blame evolution - we're hard programmed to find calories (sugar or fat) tasty as these are the foods that are most valuable to a nomadic species that can't guarantee when the next food will turn up on the plate. But if you do have a slow metabolism console yourself in the fac,t that if the turd does hit the fan, your body is actually extremely efficient at processing and storing energy. At least that's what I tell myself anyway... :p

Most fat people have high metabolic rates compared to thin people. Though unless you have a diagnosed clinical abnormality, the degree of normal variance in metabolic rates from one person to the next, is quite small. People who are overweight, are overweight because they have not balanced the calories they consume, with the calories they burn. Some people can consume huge amounts of calories and not gain weight, this is because they expend huge amounts of calories in their activities. Others seem to eat little and gain weight, this is because they are sedentary. As others have said, you can pretty much eat what you want and be slim, so long as you do enough exercise to compensate for your consumption of calories. If you are overweight, you are either not active enough to compensate for the calories you consume, or you consume more calories than your activity levels require.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Most fat people have high metabolic rates compared to thin people. Though unless you have a diagnosed clinical abnormality, the degree of normal variance in metabolic rates from one person to the next, is quite small. People who are overweight, are overweight because they have not balanced the calories they consume, with the calories they burn. Some people can consume huge amounts of calories and not gain weight, this is because they expend huge amounts of calories in their activities. Others seem to eat little and gain weight, this is because they are sedentary. As others have said, you can pretty much eat what you want and be slim, so long as you do enough exercise to compensate for your consumption of calories. If you are overweight, you are either not active enough to compensate for the calories you consume, or you consume more calories than your activity levels require.

I know a few people who eat loads and put on no weight who lead very sedentary lives - they seem to be able to do this until they are 30 then "boom" it all suddenly appears. Congrats on the 5k posts btw.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
'Cor, dripping buttie with salt n pepper.
my nan first introduced me to one of these using the beef dripping from sunday dinner. i've never been able to get enough since.

Mopping up the juice around a beef roast fresh from the oven !!! Got to be the best taste ever ;)