Fungus ID?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
These fungi appeared in my garden recently. Any idea what they might be?

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

fungus_01.jpg

fungus_02.jpg

fungus_03.jpg

fungus_04.jpg

Last edited:

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
botten one looks like some st.goerges i had the other week,
can't tell you what the others are off the top of my head.

i still wouldn't eat any fungi from that have been ID'ed online... don't usealy get a good id from photo, can smell its or cut it, or see whole mushroom

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Kind of a wierd location for st Georges (normally on grassland and growing in rings, not in wood chip mulching). Not sure what they are.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
top one looks like russula atropurpurea, but spore prints need to be taken and it needs to be smelt. odd time of year for it.

The white mushrooms in the bottom picture might be having a relationship with the bamboo rather than the bark chipping. From here it appears a little fluffy on the cap, I wonder if there is volva under the bark, if there is it is a volvariella. Other than that I don't know what it is without seeing the gills or spore print colour. It looks like tremella mesenterica (yellow witches butter) in the corner of the same picture.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK, I confess, this is a bit of a hoax! :sad6: :lmao:

These fungi really did appear in my garden recently, but my wife bought them for me at the Chelsea Flower Show (where her group at work won a Silver medal). :D

They are very good likenesses of the real thing, and I suspect they are painted resin casts taken from real fungi. You can tell by the detail of the gills (and in one case pore tubes) and in one case the ring high up on the stem.

Sorry for tricking you, but they do add some interest to the bark in my garden, while I wait for the huge crop of (sadly inedible) verdigris agaric that appears each Autumn.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Geoff you little tinker................. Had me fooled though mate.
I like those wooden carved mushrooms you see at craft fairs etc. I keep meaning to have a go at carving some myself for decoration. I'll give it a go someday.
I don't think you had Xylaria completely fooled though. She knows a 'funghi' when she see's one.

xylaria

They had me fooled:lmao: .

They are very good likenesses. I was really puzzled how you could get such array of species this time of year> I was thinking maybe they are exotics from wierd imported bark. I know now.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Geoff you little tinker................. Had me fooled though mate.
I like those wooden carved mushrooms you see at craft fairs etc. I keep meaning to have a go at carving some myself for decoration. I'll give it a go someday.
I don't think you had Xylaria completely fooled though. She knows a 'funghi' when she see's one.

Its good fun with a chainsaw. I used to make them for friends all the time only takes a few minutes. Big tall ones upto the waist were my favorites, with a long twisty stem. On a job once, my mate made a roman centurian for him and a gothic style chair for his daughter!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
They had me fooled:lmao: .

They are very good likenesses. I was really puzzled how you could get such array of species this time of year> I was thinking maybe they are exotics from wierd imported bark. I know now.

That's why I didn't think Geoff had you fooled completely. You know what's around and when it by rights should be around. A fungus numpty like me was completely taken in.

Its good fun with a chainsaw. I used to make them for friends all the time only takes a few minutes. Big tall ones upto the waist were my favorites, with a long twisty stem. On a job once, my mate made a roman centurian for him and a gothic style chair for his daughter!

I've seen those big ones at Glastonbury festival. They're great and give the place a 'weird' atmosphere. All sorts of shapes and sizes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE