Fungi are like buses you wait for ever then...

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Found these outside on the grass at work today. I thought I would post up a few photos. Anyone that can help I/D them or correct me if I get them wrong would be greatly appreciated.

bushraft008.jpg

Fly Agaric I thought (sorry in advance if spelling is incorrect)

bushraft007.jpg

Penny Bun maybe?

bushraft009-1.jpg

Unsure

bushraft006.jpg

bushraft014.jpg

bushraft012.jpg

bushraft005.jpg

group shot

There you go. not a bad way to spend dinner time.

Not sure which or these beauties are edible and the sad thing is the grounds are due to be visited by the groundsman soon so I doubt they will be here very long.

Thought I would add this one on the end

bushraft010.jpg

Is this a knife strop fungus?

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Fly agaric (amanita muscaria) is spot on, the brown one is either a miscoloured one or a panther cap (amanita pantheria) or false panther cap (amanita spissa)
the panthers are poisonous (well spissa is not but its so alike to panther don't bother)
fly agaric is not poisonous per say. it has been used as a hallucinagen and is sold in those dodgy bong shops as an alternative high. it has to be prepared however and would probebly make you quite ill if not prepared properly.

the bolete, i'm not sure, the stem is wrong for Cep but its overall shape and colouring makes me think Red-cracked bolete (boletus chrysenteron) but the cap isn't cracked so i'm not sure.
nice find on the fly agaric tho, i have to date NEVER seen one on my travels.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Fly agaric (amanita muscaria) is spot on, the brown one is either a miscoloured one or a panther cap (amanita pantheria) or false panther cap (amanita spissa)
the panthers are poisonous (well spissa is not but its so alike to panther don't bother)
fly agaric is not poisonous per say. it has been used as a hallucinagen and is sold in those dodgy bong shops as an alternative high. it has to be prepared however and would probebly make you quite ill if not prepared properly.

the bolete, i'm not sure, the stem is wrong for Cep but its overall shape and colouring makes me think Red-cracked bolete (boletus chrysenteron) but the cap isn't cracked so i'm not sure.
nice find on the fly agaric tho, i have to date NEVER seen one on my travels.

It was the Fly that caught my attention to be honest. It was only on closer inspection I found the others there as well.

Really strange place for them as the lawn they are growing on is regularly cut. There is a small coppice of trees behind where I am working today and was considering having a mooch through there.

Many thanks for the info on these species really appreciated.

Cheers.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Pic 1 - Amanita Muscaria Fly Agaric

Pic 2 -Amanita Muscaria in background, it's not a panther cap in the foreground, more likely it's Boletus Luridus - try cutting a little, if it stains blue it's much more likely to be this bolete.

Good pic here:
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/France/photo2082.htm

Pic 3 - Immature Amanita Muscaria
Pic 4 - Amanita Muscaria
Pic 5 - as pic 2 (EDIT: without A. Muscaria in background)
Pic 6 - as pic 2 x2 with Amanita Muscaria in background
Pic 7 - Group shot of above
Pic 8 - No, the knife strop is Piptoporus Betulinus or Birch Polypore, a backet fungus found on dead birch trees. What you have there is a very old bolete, probably the same species as above.

DISCLAIMER:I am not an expert - all I have done is look through some guides and do a quick google scholarship.

Rule 1: If I say something is poisonous assume I'm right.
Rule 2: If I say something is good to eat, assume I don't know what I'm talking about and that it's actually deadly poisonous.

Following these two rules will not cause you to be poisoned by my inaccurate advice.

I mean it about not being an expert so the above is purely for interests sake - always seek the advice of a real expert when it comes to fungi.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Likewise... I'm still getting to grips with the field and other guides I've got, hence replying to every topic about mushrooms I can find.

Hopefully a grown up will be along shortly to correct any mistakes we've made.

FWIW a Pather Cap Amanita Pantherina is almost a carbon copy of the Fly Agaric in your first pic but with a tan/beige/brown cap.

Young Specimen:
andersson_amanita_pantherina_01.jpg

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita_pantherina.html

Older specimen:
amanita_pantherina.jpg

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2006/09/amanita_pantherina.php

(pictures shamelessly stolen from Google image search, links to original content supplied.)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Great picture of the fly agaric, as of yet not seen one whilst out and about.But came across a couple of shaggy parasol fungi in some pine woods the other day i was quite impressed with the size of them,did not have a camera with me so not pictures I'm afraid.Great fun finding them and trying to identify them tho :)

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Beautiful Fly agaric, a real classic image that. I think the rest of the spotty jobs are also fly argaric rather than Pather cap but that's just an opinion based on ones I've found local to me that have a similar washed out appearance.

The others are definitely Boletes but unless you take one and do a spore print or section to look at the colour of the flesh and whether it changes when cut or pressed it's hard to say which. What are they growing under/around? I'd thought an Oak at first but the leaves on the ground don't look right for that.

If the groundsman's likely to hack them flat anyway you might as well grab a few and investigate.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Beautiful Fly agaric, a real classic image that. I think the rest of the spotty jobs are also fly argaric rather than Pather cap but that's just an opinion based on ones I've found local to me that have a similar washed out appearance.

The others are definitely Boletes but unless you take one and do a spore print or section to look at the colour of the flesh and whether it changes when cut or pressed it's hard to say which. What are they growing under/around? I'd thought an Oak at first but the leaves on the ground don't look right for that.

If the groundsman's likely to hack them flat anyway you might as well grab a few and investigate.

Not actually sure to be honest. The location is a clinic carpark that from what I understand was build on the periphery of an old woodland.

The lawned area is covered with smaller specimens but these ones under the shade of the tree are really beautiful.

Sadly not back there thill next thursday now but will have a look then and see if there are any new ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE