Full Moon Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well as I read the forecast yesterday morning (full moon, clear skies, calm winds, relatively cool weather of less than 70f) I thought to myself, "Perfect night for catfishing!" I sat out the bait to thaw and texted Barbara. Once we arrived at the lake two problems quickly became apparent:

1) I'd brought the lantern but had forgotten the fuel :( HOWEVER! The bright moonlight proved to be more than enough.

2) I'd thawed our leftover bait stash but it was mostly old shrimp and bacon rinds. (note to self: next time be sure we have an adequate supply of chicken livers or live crawfish) We did have just enough chicken livers for a few casts and at least Barbara caught a fiddler (a catfish bigg enough to eat but small enough it needs to be skinned, gutted, and fried whole as it's too small to fillet)

13507162_10206096634486555_1727356884741516595_n.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cool. It is a toddler, but will be good eating anyway!

You are a lucky guy that your wife has the same interest as you have! I am blessed with that too.

We aren't married but you're right; I'm a very lucky man.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Nice catch :)

Definitely affects the fishing on a full moon. Brings them on the feed = Hook up rates improve.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not many guys have a partner that is also a companion
You have it!

I hope she is a good cook too! How do you guys cook catfish? Breaded and fried?

That's the traditional and most common (although we use cornmeal rather than a batter) Blackened is gaining popularity for fillets as is broiled (the modern health thing) Unfortunately I'll be the cook on this. LOL

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice. Is that a 'thing' over there then? FullMoon Fishing? We have sea trout fishing which takes place at night around now, June

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I see. Never been night fishing.

Ive fished before, all afternoon, not caught a thing, then waited by the river until it goes dark, then fished for an hour, with a little sherry spinner, and caught 7or 8 trout in the space of an hour.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice lake! what other species is in there.

It's a man made lake; one of many on Florida State Forest land open to the public. This particular one has two public campgrounds on it (one on the north shore where we were fishing, and one on the south shore) both of which were empty that night (it was a weeknight)Other species include Large Mouth Bass, assorted varieties of sunfish (Blue Gills, Red Perch, Bream, etc.) Eels, Alligators, assorted freshwater turtles, and various snakes and baitfish. Like all public lakes, the State Forest Service periodically restocks it with the more desirable game fish (Bass) and Catfish.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I see. Never been night fishing.

Ive fished before, all afternoon, not caught a thing, then waited by the river until it goes dark, then fished for an hour, with a little sherry spinner, and caught 7or 8 trout in the space of an hour.

Yep. Dusk and Dawn are usually good.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
It's a man made lake; one of many on Florida State Forest land open to the public. This particular one has two public campgrounds on it (one on the north shore where we were fishing, and one on the south shore) both of which were empty that night (it was a weeknight)Other species include Large Mouth Bass, assorted varieties of sunfish (Blue Gills, Red Perch, Bream, etc.) Eels, Alligators, assorted freshwater turtles, and various snakes and baitfish. Like all public lakes. The State Forest Service periodically restocks it with the more desirable game fish (Bass) and Catfish.

I was thinking is it a stocked lake.. plenty of predatory fish in there :) I'd love to chuck a lure in.. and see what comes out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE