Fuel Hoarding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I decided to fill up as I am travelling a fair distance back from Uni on friday and I needed to pop to the supermarket anyway.. But to tell you the truth, it wasn't much busier here than it usually is.

I thought it was a bit stupid of the PM to advise people to 'top up', if he hadn't done that, it would have prevented the panic buying where people didn't really need to.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I filled up on Sunday so I'm good for a few days yet, £1.36.8 a litre for unleaded here, shocking !

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its anywhere from £1.39.9 UL (lowest in the city) to £1.43 as of monday gone.

I shudder to think what the motorways are charging...

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just took the dog for a wander and the garages are quiet now but the BP has some empty pumps. Derv is £1.47 which is 3p higher than it was at lunch. Crappy when they take advantage! Im hoping i run out and cant get more. Wont be able to drive two hours to pointless meetings lol

If anyone is interested the HSE say this...
[h=3]"What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?[/h] The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garageor within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA."

and

[h=3]"How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?[/h] There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.
That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

• no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour.
  • the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat.
  • the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite).
  • leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping.
  • refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.
While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information"

Extracts taken from http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm#filling

do you realise that a simple british army standard issue jerry can filled with petrol would be breaking the law, lol some how i dont ever see that one going to court, "maulord, we found him with 20 litres of petrol in an army jerry can, " shocking news that hang him!!!!!

can anyone remeber last time there was a family of asians in the birmingham area that had a WHEELIE BIN OF PETROL IN THE HOUSE, that was so funny when it was on the news.

can i just point out that you are all missing the point here and the bigger picture.

ready lorrys, almost all of britians food and deliveries have a lorry in there some where, i would be very hard to find a lorry free delivery in todays world, especialy the supermarkets , what is it they say we have only three or four days worth of food at any one time in the shops, a strike that goes past two weeks long would bring back food rationing and east german food que's, are you ready for that ?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm guessing the legislation would be used should your house go up and the petrol stores being found.

do you realise that a simple british army standard issue jerry can filled with petrol would be breaking the law, lol some how i dont ever see that one going to court, "maulord, we found him with 20 litres of petrol in an army jerry can, " shocking news that hang him!!!!!

can anyone remeber last time there was a family of asians in the birmingham area that had a WHEELIE BIN OF PETROL IN THE HOUSE, that was so funny when it was on the news.

can i just point out that you are all missing the point here and the bigger picture.

ready lorrys, almost all of britians food and deliveries have a lorry in there some where, i would be very hard to find a lorry free delivery in todays world, especialy the supermarkets , what is it they say we have only three or four days worth of food at any one time in the shops, a strike that goes past two weeks long would bring back food rationing and east german food que's, are you ready for that ?

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
If there were to.be an.impending fuel shortage is it not a bit silly to tell people to fill up when they don't really need cars at all. surely if theres going be a shortage of fuel then it would be better stockpiled for agriculture?

Then again bob down the road wants to go camping 500miles away at the weekend so forget a potential food shortage further down the line.

xylaria

morrisons has quite a que yesterday but they are cheapest petrol. Can't heating oil be used in deisels? it 62p a litre and no-one questions a 1000 litre tank of it. alledgely it doesn't show on the red dip test either. It might be just a tall story.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
My wife works in a petrol station, and last night her credit card take was 4 times more than normal and if today is as busy as yesterday they won't have any fuel left. All thats happened is that we've just given the fuel companies a nice injection of cash and the excuse to put up prices due to supply and demand.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
This country runs on a road transport infrastructure. People have to travel further for work and leisure than ever before.

The very mention of a strike is what has triggered this; people are living on their nerves. The uncertainty is making it worse and will mean people won't take the risk to travel if they have a choice not to.

Someone needs to get a grip and fast; tell us if there's a strike or not.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I can do that, as it stands, there is no strike. Fuel is being delivered to forecourts, fuel will continue to be delivered to forecourts. If the prats do strike, fuel will still be delivered to many stations.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I can do that, as it stands, there is no strike. Fuel is being delivered to forecourts, fuel will continue to be delivered to forecourts. If the prats do strike, fuel will still be delivered to many stations.

Sorry, I meant to type "is there GOING to be a strike or not".

It's the uncertainty of not knowing IF there will be a strike that is causing the rush.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good luck with storing petrol, it degrades after about 6 months.
The whole thing is bloody ridiculous and quite the reason why I have disdain for the general public.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire

Yes I do realise that, i'm not a half wit.
Most fuel stations in this area will not let you fill fuel cans that hold more than 10ltrs. The HSE do prosecute for some unusual things and yes many are post incident, similarly with the EA.
Your life, your choice, up to you what you do.
However in the eyes of the law ignorance is no
defence at least let people read and decide for themselves.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I haven't seen any queues around here.
Anyone else in Scotland seen any?

Sadly, yes, yesterday in the Central belt I saw a few forecourts that were far busier than normal. When I fuelled up last night (it was down to an 1/8th of a tank) the girl on the tills was commenting how the shift had been at least twice as busy as normal.

Thats the thing with panic. It spreads quicker than spilt milk on a kitchen floor :(

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Sorry, I meant to type "is there GOING to be a strike or not".

It's the uncertainty of not knowing IF there will be a strike that is causing the rush.

They simply don't know yet, what you can be certain of is that there will not be a strike within the next 7 days as they need to give 7 days of notice so during that time all normal fuel deliveries will be made so any stations that run out of fuel have sold it all due to panic buying or poor management.

Even if there is a strike then all emergency services and essential services will still have access to fuel and I would imagine major lorry companies have their own stockpile of fuel to slow the impact of price rises. It will just be your everyday joe that nurse their cars by on fumes on a daily basis due to how expensive the stuff is that will be effected.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
They simply don't know yet, what you can be certain of is that there will not be a strike within the next 7 days as they need to give 7 days of notice so during that time all normal fuel deliveries will be made so any stations that run out of fuel have sold it all due to panic buying or poor management.

Even if there is a strike then all emergency services and essential services will still have access to fuel and I would imagine major lorry companies have their own stockpile of fuel to slow the impact of price rises. It will just be your everyday joe that nurse their cars by on fumes on a daily basis due to how expensive the stuff is that will be effected.

If and when there is an announcement, it will just make things even worse.

"There's going to be a strike in 7 days; I must fill up now!"

On a related topic, I always wonder what sort of people buy enough food for an army just because the supermarkets are closed for 2 days over Christmas; probably the same lot...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE