FS - Hand Forged Firesteels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
After a little break from forging whilst I built a new home for the forge, I'm back, and I have three steel strikers for sale (just in time for Christmas ;) )
As with all my strikers/firesteels, they are forged from 0-1 carbon steel, quenched, normalised and quenched again. As with all of my recent offerings, I've finished the strikers a light sanding/polishing, although if you're more of a fan of the 'rustic' more traditional look, I can soon throw them back into the forge for a few minutes and give them a coat of wax afterwards.

I've made strikers from a number of steels in the past; from old files to leaf spring and, more recently to 0-1 tool steel. 0-1 is quite a hard steel when water quenched (it should really be oil quenched), thus it doesn't spark like a sparkler, but does give long-lasting sparks which work very well to develop embers on charcloth or amadou.

[

The striker on the far left, is a little experiment of mine, and works best with those who are right-handed: The scroll at the end of the striker is expanded slightly to provide a bid more of a grip in the centre of the palm. I've found that this helps you to keep the striker steady when glancing blows off the flint and goes some way to preventing grazed knuckles!

You can have any one of the strikers (above) for £9 to your door including a piece of flint and some charcloth. Payment preferably via Paypal as a gift or as monies owed (to avoid those pesky fees!:) )

If you're not so keen on any of the designs above, please drop me a message and I'll be happy to modify one, or make one to your exact specifications.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
The striker on the far right has been reserved for The Big Lebowski, however I have one very similar forged earlier today if anyone's interested?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Only the centre one remaining now.

As per my exploits and learning curve on the sewing machine, I'll include the following for a nice round tenner;

Recorded delivery
Steel Striker
Charcloth
Thinly-sliced Birch Polypore
Flint
All included within a denim drawstring pouch.

Cheers,
Steve

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Received with thanks today steve... These are fantastic kits!

The striker and flint worked within a couple of strikes, lighting the char cloth and in turn lighting the polypore to a nice big ember :)

Looking forwards to lighting my first fire!! And there's plenty of tinder to keep me going for some time.

Thanks again, regards, al.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Glad you liked it Al!

It takes a sharp piece of flint to get the best results, but it sounds like you're off to a great start there! The charcloth and polypore help no-end when it comes to providing a good strong ember.

Happy fire-starting!:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE