Frying Pan

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a decent frying pan suitable for an open fire but not cast-iron. I'm thinking along the lines of the one HFW uses in the river cottage programmes.
Cheers
Heath

I got a nifty non stick steel pan from tkmaxx a couple of months ago, it has a wooden handle that can be removed with a twist when you put the pan in the fire. big enough to cook on top of my hobo stove. it is slightly wok shaped with a flat bottom.

Tkmaxx have new stuff in all the time and may be worth a look.
I can post a photo if you want a look at it.:)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I usually pick one up if I need one from local Tesco store, non stick about 6" for £1.08 and if it survives I'll use it next outing and if not I'll either toss it in the bucket or use it for something else, maybe a small fire bowl or sumat. At a quid an outing it'll do for me.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a decent frying pan suitable for an open fire but not cast-iron. I'm thinking along the lines of the one HFW uses in the river cottage programmes.
Cheers
Heath

I think I've seen HFW using a tinned copper pan. I found a similar one in a charity shop. Works beautifully both on top of my stove and on a fire. Had to put on a new layer of tin though, but that was easy. I've also made my own frying pan out of 14 gauge steel, with a collapsible handle. The copper one is of course better and provides more even heat. But I still rate a cast iron one the highest.

Using a new frying pan for every outing seems like a great waste to me. Shame on you.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
At a quid a time believe me it's no waste mate, and as I say it usually gets either reused or recycled into something else if it gets trashed. I mean a quid is just over 1 1/2 euro.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I think I've seen HFW using a tinned copper pan. I found a similar one in a charity shop.

My favourite frying pan is from a second hand shop in Sweden (I think it was called Myrorna), I love your second hand shops, much better than the ones over here. I could have furnished my whole kitchen if I could've got the stuff back.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use a small 8" frying pan I got from Wilkinsons for £cheap. I took the plastic handle off and replaced it with a small stubby wooden one.
It's lasted a good amount of time, is nice and light, and portable (with the short handle). Those cast ones cost a bomb and weigh as much.
Although aluminium, it's sat on the fire and shows no sign of corrupting whatsoever. Oh, and it's non-stick as well!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I see your location is Birmingham (presume West Mids), well if you go to Handsworth, (roughly opposite the library on the main road where all the shops are) there are two Indian shops that sell loads of different types of cooking pans and pots, frying pans in various metals, etc;, one shop is called ''Milans'' i think but a few doors away is a better shop with more variety which is called something like ''Household Stores'', parking is a pig but they open very late so you can go late and avoid the daytime hassle. You can get any pot from the size of your hand to the size of a dustbin all in various metals, some of it is made for use on fires as well as is their tradition. Might be worth a look for you.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I see your location is Birmingham (presume West Mids), well if you go to Handsworth, (roughly opposite the library on the main road where all the shops are) there are two Indian shops that sell loads of different types of cooking pans and pots, frying pans in various metals, etc;, one shop is called ''Milans'' i think but a few doors away is a better shop with more variety which is called something like ''Household Stores'', parking is a pig but they open very late so you can go late and avoid the daytime hassle. You can get any pot from the size of your hand to the size of a dustbin all in various metals, some of it is made for use on fires as well as is their tradition. Might be worth a look for you.

Cheers Joonsy, I've never been to Handsworth but I'd love to check it out.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I have a pan from an Asian shop (Bangla Stores on the Ormeau Road in Belfast, in my case). They are the ones used in take-aways and restaurants, where they are used over very hot gas flames. Cheap, and available in lots of sizes and shapes, from chappatti pans to wok style.

I find that once seasoned they build up their own non-stick property and patina.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
At a quid a time believe me it's no waste mate, and as I say it usually gets either reused or recycled into something else if it gets trashed. I mean a quid is just over 1 1/2 euro.

I think big swede was thinking more in terms of the worlds finite resources than your money. If "bushcraft" means getting £1 fry pans made in China, shipped around the world to be used once I want no part in it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I got a really good, hard anodised, non stick aluminum pan from Asda which has a metal handle so no worries on the fire.

Because it's a decent thickness it's also good for spreading the heat so you don't get hot spots. They do a wok in the same range too.

I think it was about £6 or £7 if I recall.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Millets have a sale on at the moment on some good quality non-stick frying pans, they have fold up handles as well, worth a look I feel!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I think big swede was thinking more in terms of the worlds finite resources than your money. If "bushcraft" means getting £1 fry pans made in China, shipped around the world to be used once I want no part in it.

Thx robin, you're spot on. I just felt an explanation would be wasted. That sort of consuming pattern is wrong on so many levels.

Actually I find non-stick to be horrifying stuff. Polytetrafluoroethylene, which is the chemical name for the brand name teflon, is said to be inert and non-toxic, but it still deteriorates at 260 degrees, and the degradation products can cause symptoms in humans. Also it's production is carcinogenous and polutes waters and soils (usually in third world countries, how else would you get a pan for £1). People used to get on fine without non-stick so I really can't see why anybody would need it. Don't give me the healthier aspect (less fat), people who use a non-stick pan are rarely thinner than the average, and people as a whole have gone up in weight since the release of the non-stick material. Along with the environmental issues, from my view it is a worse tool in the kitchen. Give me a cast iron pan, a tinned copper sauteuse, a ordinary steel flap-jack pan and whatnot, all of them produces a much better frying surface on the food to be prepared than the non-stick.

On another more humorous note: "Oh, everybody, look at me! I'm a bushcrafter, I dress only in natural materials, drink my coffee out of a hand carved kuksa, cut my natural wood with my special hand made knife which I sharpen and hone, to an extent that may seem somewhat obsessed, using traditional methods, I cut wood with my hand made traditional axe, make fire with my bow drill, make my own string out of natures wast reserve of string making materials, I wear my suspiciously LARP-looking bushcrafting purse on my special hand made leather belt with rather gay acorns on it, made from the finest traditional tanned leather etc. etc. in absurdum, BUT, when it comes to cooking I DEMAND a poisonous cheap imported low quality frying pan, cos this washing up process is freaking KILLING ME!!!"

Not aimed at anyone specific, but it is a bit ironic, isn't it?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Quite agree.

Good kit should not cost the Earth.
globe.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE