Fruit leather

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - anyone out there make fruit leather?

I fancied having a go so I've got some on the go just now. I had no idea what to use so it's apple and plum for starters. Thought that should taste okay.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good :)
I'm very fond of pear myself.
I think the only one that is truly vile is Hawthorn :sigh: yet if it's mixed 60/40 with sugar it makes great sweeties :)

Blooming stuff is addictive though :eek:

M

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't think I've done it quite right as it is sticky but it tastes quite good nevertheless.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's not quite dry enough yet, it will be sticky. It kind of stays a bit more tacky than sticky iimmc when it's dry. Put it somewhere cold (not the fridge) and let it sit a little while and have another look at it.
You can dust it with icing sugar like Turkish delight if it's annoying you. If it's not dry enough though that will just draw moisture and go soggy.

To be honest fruit leather is a real favourite :) My pear one ends up almost like chewy toffee :D.....off to raid the pantry.

cheers,
M

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Right ok I'll let it sit for a while.

Still pretty tasty though. - This was only a trial run, only used a couple of plums and 3 apples.

Depending on how it turns out, the rest might just go into a crumble! ........mmmmmm crumble! :D

Andy

edit - just went to check on the batch and to put it in the cupboard and ended up eating half of it :O oh well.

Last edited:

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I struggle with fruit leather, I always leave it in the dehydrator too long and it goes brittle.
Doesnt seem to stop the kids from munching through it at an alarming rate :)

Ness :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He is a member, but I'm wondering if he'd be up for a discount for BcUK members ordering in bulk :D group buy ?

The Tofu and marmite is really, really good :D and HWMBLT said the venison, chilli and (I think it was whisky?) was excellent.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I might suggest to the Boss that he finds out if Martin might like to come to the Traders day at the Moot :D They're both in South Wales .....:D
Much better than a trip to Tesco.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah we forgot to mention that side effect :rolleyes:

Whatever is in season, in glut, your can gather for free or you can buy cheaply, is usually worth a try :D
Mixtures work very well, but plain apple or pear is really good.
Banana didn't :dunno: just no, yet dried in slices it's fine, and citrus I still think is better as a marmalade. You can dry out slices of a thick one though and it's rather nice :D if you don't mind soor.

Interested to hear how Spartacus' mixture worked out :cool:

atb,
M

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye that did sound rather nice actually.

I can't stand banana's - never liked them.:yuck:

I'll finish off this lot of apples and plums. Might make a crumble too.

I'll have a go at something with berries in next time! :D

Andy

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi guys, Saturday is market day in the town near me and I had to go buy a brushcutter(it'll earn me beer tokens). I'm just back and tasted my apple honey and cinamon leathers. Mmmmmmmmmarvelous. A wee bit moist but I am ever so encouraged. I got a tip off another site and that says to dust them with superfine castor sugar and you can take the clingfilm off for storing them. I don't think they will last long enough to store lol.

This present batch needs just a wee touch more drying I think (not that I would have a clue) so it's back into the wee cheap oven and see how it goes. I really am encouraged.
There are Mountains of free fruit here in the Bulgarian countryside so I can see me making loads for my winter stravaigs.

My neighbours dry all sorts out in the sun as it gets really hot here, and it is my intention to learn a bit about that this year but you would not believe the amount of fruit and squash that got wasted last year out of my garden but this is definitely on my list now. Great fun. Qunice might be good, and I've got rasps, strawbs and currants, cranberries planted and blueberries. I also have apples and peaches and pears etc. so we shall see haha.

Might even consider a dehydrator although I think I can do without in this climate, build myself a solar dryer, I'm a carpenter anyway!!! and that would be in keeping with my peasant lifestyle.

Have a go everyone it is easy enough. Getting it perfect will be like everything else. Practise, practice, practice.

Tell you what, if you have kids it would be a cracker to introduce them to the kitchen.

Cheers for now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE