Frost River Summit Expedition

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these, a Geologist or similar sized FR pack. Before I do, does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looked at them and keep looking at them. With the exception of it being canvas it's no different to my sabre 35. Still want one though.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Looked at them and keep looking at them. With the exception of it being canvas it's no different to my sabre 35. Still want one though.

I had an Isle Royale but it was too big so I sold it on. I am sorted and loved up with my Sabre 60-100 for my big pack, but have been drooling over a classic canvas daysack and my resistance has finally crumbled. I also know from experience that the moment I press the pay button there is every likelihood one will pop up for sale, hence the ad. :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Sods lore that is. I fancy one to go with my bedroll for over night traditional trips. A few bits of cooking kit warmer clothes and play things in the pack and bedroll over the shoulder.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I'd go with the Geologist BL. The issue with the Summit packs is the shoulder straps. The metal ring through the leather loop at the top is a weak point IMHO (I'd have jumped on one otherwise - just my style of pack). I have had a couple of Frost packs with this type of fixing and the leather loop wears/weakens quickly with prolonged use. The one I bought on here was reinforced with extra leather loops by the first owner because of this problem.

I think the Frost sacks are excellent but I will only use the ones where the shoulder straps are attached directly to the main body of the pack with stitching and rivets.

Just my opinion my friend, others may feel different.

K

p.s. I love the idea of their new Yoga Mat Tote. I'm very tempted as it will fit my wooden flutes perfectly...or a folding saw!

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks for that Kawasemi. I did wonder how well that system would hold up and in truth I prefer the design of the Geologist anyway. :)

Kev

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd disagree with Kawasemi. In my experience its one of the redeeming features of the pack.
Ive had mine in the arctic, and on a couple of canoe expeditions, and its been thrown about no end, and is fine.
Having said that, Im sure you'll be happy with geologists pack.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Inspired by this thread(I know....), I googled frost river packs & came up with a company called 1948 original equipment that have them in stock, as well as other goodies to my liking.

Rob

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Inspired by this thread(I know....), I googled frost river packs & came up with a company called 1948 original equipment that have them in stock, as well as other goodies to my liking.

Rob

Cheers Rob. I have already spoken with them about it and by email at least they have been very helpful. Unless one turns up here that's where I'll be getting it from next week.
They really do have some tempting kit don't they? :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I saw them at Woodland Ways site. Out of stock at the moment though.
Also a couple of reviews on YouTube.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Cheers Rob. I have already spoken with them about it and by email at least they have been very helpful. Unless one turns up here that's where I'll be getting it from next week.
They really do have some tempting kit don't they? :)

Tempting ? scarily so !

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE