Frontier Stoves

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi All
Looking to make a rain cowl spark catcher for my frontier stove, I found a small stainless flask in a charity shop for a £1, it looked about the same size as the flue.
When I got home found it was the same diameter as the flue and the top fitted nicely in the flue.
Some 10 minutes surgery with the dremel, and I have got myself a top for my flue pipe.
The holes at the top are adjustable at the moment, but I plan to pop rivet the top to the bottom.
Initial results are very good

5501753819_715c6c8cb1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5502345546_8799118f98.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5502345502_12cdcec4f1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Bullet bitten. Just ordered one. Reckon it will be my workshop stove and my car camping stove of choice in the future.

I'll try and put a treview together sometime (although the SOTP review is pretty good.)
Can't wait...

Have you used it much? I'd be interested to hear how you and anyone else getting on with them as I'm tempted to go for one as well.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Have you used it much? I'd be interested to hear how you and anyone else getting on with them as I'm tempted to go for one as well.

I rate them. They are light enough to carry around (short distances), simple to operate with a damper and door position to adjust draw, reasonably well made and robust, there's a decent sized top plate to cook on and a circular panel to remove for boiling water. A good all-rounder.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looking forward to the review Craig.

I rate them. They are light enough to carry around (short distances), simple to operate with a damper and door position to adjust draw, reasonably well made and robust, there's a decent sized top plate to cook on and a circular panel to remove for boiling water. A good all-rounder.

How much have you used it and do you have any idea how long the firebox will last? All the reviews I've seen like the stove as well. As I would use it a fair bit, for outdoor cooking at home as well as camping, I'm curious to get some idea of how long it will last.

Edit to add: Has anyone used a small flat bottomed Dutch oven on top of the stove?

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've had mine five months and tbh have not used it that much so can't say how durable it will be in the long term. They were aimed at disaster relief originally before it was realised that they might be of interest to bushcrafters/campers here.

There is a thread somewhere on this site where the distributor contributes and gives details of the stove. Might be worth a search.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Not wanting to put anyone off, but I had one for a while and became steadily unsatisfied with it.
Then again I bought it for a tipi, and they were never designed to be used in a tent.
Ive since seen a few stoves in other peoples tipi's and all of them had a larger diameter flue, than the frontier, with sections that fit together a lot tighter. And dont wobble. Hence a lot better draw.
But heck, you may end up loving it.
Put a bit of sand or dirt in the bottom of the firebox to make it last longer.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not wanting to put anyone off, but I had one for a while and became steadily unsatisfied with it.

For the price I don't think it could be quite as good as many of the reviews state so it's useful to see some negative comments.

As I don't intend to used it in a confined space the flue shouldn't be an issue so I'll probably order one next week. Isn't there some fire resistant tape or something that could make the flue fit better?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Isn't there some fire resistant tape or something that could make the flue fit better?
As I don't intend to used it in a confined space the flue shouldn't be an issue so I'll probably order one next week.

No to the Tape.
Like anything, its the product application which you should consider.
If youre using it outside, and dont need to purchase any more flue, [the extra exhaust sections cost about 30 quid] Then it is a very good bit of kit.
Be better in a Bell Tent than a Tipi.

If shopping for a Tipi, you would be better spending another hundred quid or so, and getting something like this from the States: [IMO]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220553760737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I know that Wood smoke contains fine particulate matter, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide and various irritant gases such as nitrogen oxides that can scar the lungs. Wood smoke also contains chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and dioxin.

Does anyone know of a study, which confirms that traces of carcinogens, or fine particulate matter are released from non airtight wood burning stoves, which are invisible to the naked eye, in an enclosed enviroment, like a tent?

I'm assuming they must be, right?

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As I don't intend to used it in a confined space the flue shouldn't be an issue so I'll probably order one next week.

Ordered Monday and it arrived midday today.:)

It all looks fine, apart from couple of small patches of surface rust where the paint has worn off in transport. I'll clean them up and dab on a bit of heat resistant paint.

I'm currently firing it up to burn it in and it's looking good. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable smoke coming out from the joints and the chimney raises the smoke out of the way of the fire - which is what I wanted it for. Just made my first cup of tea. :cool:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Like the Honey stove its a shame its not hinged, the Honey is a PITA at the best of times to assemble, in winter with cold hands a real PITA

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Like the Honey stove its a shame its not hinged, the Honey is a PITA at the best of times to assemble, in winter with cold hands a real PITA

Not sure what you mean Rich? The Frontier is easy to put together as the three legs fold underneath it and the flue sections pack away into the firebox. There's a handle so its easy to carry over short distances. Forgive my ignorance but I don't see where the hinges come in?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE