Frontier stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Was thinking about purchasing a frontier stove with bday money can anyone tell me if they'd be good for hiking or camping I'll use it with a polish army poncho tent or would that be to much?

Has anyone got any traditional ways of heating a tent that would be cheaper and better for the poncho tent ?

Denny

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ive got say Ive used the polish poncho tent in snow and a trangia burner heated it up!!!
Id say way too much for such a small space.
D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with TTC, I've been in a Bergans 8 man lavvo with a Frontier running and it was toasty

Something like a DIY ammo box stove might be better

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Id say car or canoe... It's base camp kit not hiking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded. I only use mine when all I have to do is carry it from the car to the campsite. Weighs much more than a trangia and fuel and is too bulky to hike with. It is, however, a cracking bit of kit. We often use it at home to cook on as an adjunct to the BBQ as well.

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
Agreed kern, the great thing at home is if it's not the height of summer it gathers people like a patio heater.

I use mine with a 4m bell tent and I wouldn't even want to unload the car on my own... However it is great fun when you're set up. I've never used it in very cold weather (that's my next mission) and I found the tent too warm to sleep comfortably! On my own I use a mini trangia and Fire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Hey ttc would a trangia not give off carbon monoxide ? I had my suspicions that it would be way to big and quite expensive in relations to other way

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, or venting around the bottom - or top. CO comes when you burn with insufficient airflow. I am sat in my living room with a HUGE woodburning stove going. Is your poncho shelter more airtight than a house?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yup, or venting around the bottom - or top. CO comes when you burn with insufficient airflow. I am sat in my living room with a HUGE woodburning stove going. Is your poncho shelter more airtight than a house?

I have said this before, the new super efficient houses that cost something like 100 pounds a year to heat achieve this in a large way by exchanging the heat in the air that's vented into the fresh air intake. Same with a tent, you can either suffocate and drown in condensation, damp etc, or freeze, but you have to vent, and an open flame (not an enclosed stove with pipe) it is just wasted. All camping heaters I have seem work off infra red, like open fires do. Don't know if there's a way of doing infrared with a trangia. If I had a frontier stove or one in a house, an air intake from outside would improve the efficiency a good deal. Hot air rises out the top of the vent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
With a tent so small as the poncho setup I can't see why you need to heat it at all if your clothing and sleeping bag suit the season your camping in. A candle lantern will take the chill off the air in the poncho tent, a small gas lantern will heat the tent.

I use this to heat my shed and even just 'ticking' over its around 20c in there.

20141207_102144 (Medium).jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE