From a File to a Shiny...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Heres my first knife, made from an old file its 4mm thick and a full tang, I wanted something that was fine and sleek to look at, something that was different to the norm.

its taken me about 6 months, just picking it up and putting it down in-between projects, Handled in Cherry, with a leather and felt liners, and Brass tube for Pins..

The sheath is made from 3mm Veg Tan wet formed equally front and back, with a Solid Brass D for a dangler if I want to use one, I ve tried to give the sheath a distressed look , that will soon improve, as its going to be well used :)

DSC_0029.jpgDSC_0030.jpg

Hope you like....

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That is really nice and different. Like everything about it all, nice work.
More pictures..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I reckon that's an absolute cracker mate! The knife and sheath both look top-notch to me - the cherry handle and brass tube go really very nicely with each other and the sheath suits the whole thing really well.
One to be very proud of in my book!..............................atb mac

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
For the heat treat I followed the following steps..

1 over night in a camp fire, so it steeped well and cooled very slow, the ash was still warm the next morning,

2. to Harden - heated the Sharp end to Cherry red, then quenched in old engine oil,

3. to temper - warmed the Blade until straw brown which I managed to get quite uniform and quenched again,

it turned out quite uniform as far as hardness goes, and has taken quite a good edge I just got to strop it up, the polish was done all by hand with a cloth an Autosol finishing off with some rouge..

:), thank you for all your comments.. I am happy with it, and look forward to using it.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thats ok

I did it by hand and eye, with a file holding it in a vice

Cheers for that. I've one to do and was considering my bench sander but was not sure I could get the blade in properly.

I also have a small Sheffield file I hope to make into a small stick tang carver. Or if I feel. Brave a folder blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE