Frogs Legs

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

Anyone every cook the frogs out of thier garden ponds ?

Any hints/tips,/recipies

Or am i just sick ?

S7000451.jpg

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Loz,

In my younger years I have eaten frogs legs and you know what they tasted like?

Chicken! BWHAhahaha.

We have built a wildlife pond on the allotment but I don't think I'll be munching any frogs legs, snails or other residents. I would rather just watch them :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nessmuk thought highly of them.

not for me, methinks (Im not keen on seafood anyway)

We have a long history of frog catching and snail gathering in this country...

...for the french sector of the poplace, will you believe?

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Certainly brown Frogs (the type found in the UK) are a protected species under the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

I used to live in France for a while when I was a kid. My dad used to take great delight in dangling frogs leg in front of me (green/edible frog) I never did get around to trying them myself, it was the fact they were always drenched in garlic that put me off :p .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Recipe for Frogs legs?
Catch frog, wipe it down with Garlic, let frog go, eat Garlic.
Simple, eco friendly, frog friendly, veggie friendly AND THE TASTIEST WAY of eating Frogs legs.
Very little meat on a frog and it does not taste of much unless you drench it in Garlic (ransoms, Jack-by-the-hedge etc) and this recipe just reduces the meat component of the dish not the flavour.
Try the same recipe style for snails, slugs, worms, limpets etc for gastronomic delights.
For ultra simplicity without much detriment to the meals you can even cut the part where you rub the meat part of the meal with the garlic........
John

P

Philr

They look to small to have any real meat on.
Frogs legs are ok again as said earlier not a great deal of taste but plenty of small bones,
Where ever i go in the world I have to try out new nosh so far Minky whale and horse are my top dishes, MMMMMMMMMMMM nice.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats sensible Phil, good edible animals that wont choke you on the bones.

(no garlic involved.)

But a little garlic is nice, I just dont like those french recipes that call for tons of the stuff.

(and then you get those annoying gourmands who insist on it being real french grown stuff, not the italian that most grocers stock.)

(we use an `awful` lot of garlic in the indian resteraunt...but does the customer ever notice it? No)

So, brown frogs are out, how about the green and marsh and edible ones?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
‘Nymphs A L’Aurore:

Poach the frog’s legs in an excellent white-wine court-bouillon. When cooled, trim them properly, dry them thoroughly in a piece of linen, and steep them, one after the other, in a chaud froid sauce of fish with paprika, the tint of which should be golden. This done, arrange the treated legs on a layer of champagne aspic jelly, which should have set beforehand of a square, silver dish or crystal bowl. Now lay some chervil pluches and tarragon leaves between the legs in imitation of water-grasses, and cover the whole with champagne aspic-jelly to imitate water.

Send the dish to the table, set in a black of ice, fashioned as fancy may suggest’ – Auguste Escoffier

Jolly good bushtucker, I think you’ll agree, Loz

Hope this helps :D

Best regards,
Paul.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've eaten lots of frogs legs in both France and Chinese countries.

Personally I don't know why they bother. They taste fine but what a lot of trouble to go to for such a tiny amount of meat and a lot of bones.

In Hong Kong and China I remember they sold live frogs at the markets for you to take home and butcher. They had huge baskets full of them so I guess it was a popular thing to do but I was never tempted to give it a go.

There a plenty of them on my allotments and my wildlife pond is full of them right now but I prefer to let them jump around and eat slugs and other bugs that are after my vegetables.

I agree with Nomad. I grew up with them. The grown ups would send me out to catch them . I would come home with 40 of them all in a pile in the botttom of my little boat.
Standing over forty or so dead Bull Frog carcasses and the small pile of legs I'd cut off in a bowl beside them I remember thinking excatly what is the point of this.
Now that I'm all grown up it might have been just excercise in decadence?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE