free baby tree anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

graiman

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
caithness, scotland
just found this on hot uk deals thought some of you might like it ^^

velvet tissue are givin away free baby trees xD
you can choose between a rowan,scots pine or silver birch
closing date it the last day for july and they will bhe sending out the trees early September i think
http://www.velvettissue.com/campaign-for-trees/claim-tree.aspx

im not conected to em or whatever it is im supposed to say :p
hope this is in the right section!
graiman

Logical

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
Scotish Highlands
september! tree planting should idealy be done in winter.

Not according to the site "We will be sending out baby trees during the month of September to coincide with ‘tree planting season’ providing the optimum conditions to plant."

Maybe its a matter of oppinion ;)

Regardless thats a great offer, well spotted!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I think you can plant trees at any time if they are cell grown. Transplanting trees should only be done in winter.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Not according to the site "We will be sending out baby trees during the month of September to coincide with ‘tree planting season’ providing the optimum conditions to plant."

Maybe its a matter of oppinion ;)

Regardless thats a great offer, well spotted!

I think you can plant trees at any time if they are cell grown. Transplanting trees should only be done in winter.

i don't think it said what it comes in. if it is bare root then it should definately be planted in winter. if they come growing in soil then you can plant any time of year but they will struggle in hot weather and will need more watering.

they are right about regular watering in warm weather and laying mulch.
if your planting trees outside (sometimes inside too) your garden you need to protect them from rabbits with tree tubes or they will strip of the bark and kill the tree in no time.
at work we look after a plot of land and last summer we lost loads of trees through rabbits and lack of water:(

pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If anybody relatively nearby wants.........sweet chestnut, silver birch, willow, oak, horse chestnut, sycamore, ash, rowan or gean, let me know ?
My garden is surrounded by trees and I weed out hundreds a year. There's only so many I can find new homes for, but I don't mind potting up a few of the seedlings, and the chestnuts aside, those all self seed in every blasted crevice they can find.
The chestnuts just get buried in a warm pile of leaf litter and by Spring they're sprouting tap root and leaves.

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the link

I've gone for a Scots too, hopefully the wife can grab one as well. I'll plant them 5m apart and then in 40 years time when I can't make it up the stairs I can climb into the hammock instead :)

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
if your planting trees outside (sometimes inside too) your garden you need to protect them from rabbits with tree tubes or they will strip of the bark and kill the tree in no time.

I feel your pain. :( We also have to contend with sheep, deer and voles. Watering has never been a problem up here though.:rolleyes:

The rabbits were worse in the winter when the ground was covered in snow for ages. A lot of trees which are normally off target for the wee blighters got ringbarked a couple of feet up.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hey listen, i've already got 2 kids there's no way i want more, heck in autumn if i get a bumper crop i'd be skint WAY before the child tax kicks in you know?

heh, nice idea from em tho, plenty of rowan, silver birch and scots round by us :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE