France: The best wild camping locations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Can anybody give locations that they would rate as the best wild camping in France? If possible, can you provide lat/log ref's so that a Google Earth database can be established. Many thanks. :thankyou:

Would be really interested in getting some info on this topic, im not french but living in france and would like to go on wild camping around... Any info would be appreciated

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I've spent some time around the Verdon Gorge, plenty of opportunity for wild camping and a truly spectacular setting, mind out for the wild boars though.
Cant help with specific locations though.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
If you published the locations...... it would no longer be 'wild' but 'much visited'!!! it's a bit like asking where do you find those fabulous cepes and girolles!!!!:rolleyes:
The best way if for you to buy an O.S map of the area you fancy , take your compass and go explore! that's how I have found many many wonderful places away from the hubbub and other people.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Note that wild camping in itself is forbidden. "Bivouac" is allowed by default but there are many exceptions. Bivouac means from dusk to dawn, nothing left during the day. No base camp.
Some GR, like GR20, do not authorize bivouac either. You have to use the (paid) refuges and book in advance (a bit of controversial topic as it forces you to stick to a pre-established schedule which can lead to dangerous decisions in mountain). If the refuge is full, you can camp next to it but that is also paying.

Apart from that dimension, your question is vague. Are you looking for mountain, woods, hills, fields? What kind of activities do you want to undertake: pure hiking, tracking, bushcraft?

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Would be really interested in getting some info on this topic, im not french but living in france and would like to go on wild camping around... Any info would be appreciated

Hi,

in the Yvelines the closest choice is Rambouillet. Bivouac is a grey matter. I called the ONF (wood authority) and they said this is "not really allowed but we cannot control everything. If you do it, stay away from main paths." Take it as you like!

If you read French, I suggest you have a look at those two fora:
http://www.davidmanise.com/forum/
http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum

Cheers

Note that wild camping in itself is forbidden. "Bivouac" is allowed by default but there are many exceptions. Bivouac means from dusk to dawn, nothing left during the day. No base camp.
Some GR, like GR20, do not authorize bivouac either. You have to use the (paid) refuges and book in advance (a bit of controversial topic as it forces you to stick to a pre-established schedule which can lead to dangerous decisions in mountain). If the refuge is full, you can camp next to it but that is also paying.

Apart from that dimension, your question is vague. Are you looking for mountain, woods, hills, fields? What kind of activities do you want to undertake: pure hiking, tracking, bushcraft?

Im kinda new to all the bushcraft, but im was thinking of starting slowly and see how that develops... im in the rambouillet are since i work with horses and ive gone through some trails in horseback, but they are used a lot and there is a lot of people around but ill check the sites posted above and follow the advice everyone has so kindly given and see how everything evolves... Thanks to everyone for the help.

P.S: sorry if there are some writing mistakes English is not my primary language.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
You will not find "wilder" than Rambouillet in the Yvelines. Crowded for sure, better avoid week-end and be low profile. Also it is a nature reserve so no fire and no wood cutting. But there is a good deal of wildlife.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
sorry, missed your last post.

Rather have tips to meet them. Just don't corner them. No reason to be concerned.

I once crossed one at 5 am, at dusk, 10 meters or so. It stopped at my level and I leaned against a tree. Watched its silouhette against dusky background for a minute or so. Then I flashed it with my light and he went, no running, quietly walking.

But most of the time they just run away.

Cornering them would not be easy anyway, they seem to be able to go through any kind of bush.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE