Fox welps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Last week on an evening hike nearby I found a Fox den with welps. In total I counted 4 welps. I contacted Rene Nauta of Extra Survival about the find because I thought he might be interested in taking some photographs for the quarterly newsletter. He was, we decided on a stakeout and were not dissapointed:

vossewelp2.jpg

vossewelp3.jpg

These pictures were taken by Rene at dawn. Alas, they were not that eager that morning to come outside. Around the den, there were lots of bird remains and -remarkable- rabbit stomachs. They seem to dislike that part of the rabbit. :)

Rabbit numbers seems to go up in our region, btw. A good sign after the VHS & Myxomatosis disaster here in The Netherlands.

-Emile

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Thanks for posting these great images Emile :) Really lovely scenes.

Glad the hear about the rabbit numbers increasing too. Still depressingly low here in the south of France, not helped by hunting pressure but of course the true tragedy are those horrendous diseases.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the posting Emile, great pics!
I've seen some fox welps (3) aswell overhere in Delfland between Delft and Rotterdam, in the very near fascinity of a farm (with chickens :D)
They were playing and had lots of fun :D - great to see them like that!

Only one downside on this story: there was a picture of them in the local newspaper, and now all sorts of people try to see them :rolleyes: :( (at least they were doing last saturday). Can only hope they forget them quickly, lose interest, and leave them alone.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
ahjo, they got fox's there? i never saw them there, i personnaly don't like that piece of "nature". To buzy and to much cylcle roads. Somehow i haven't, managed to find the road in that area to rotterdam, somehow i end up with a dead ending road with a canal blocking the path.

hootchi

Settler
eraaij said:
Yes. Sorry if I got the translation mixed up :)

-Emile
No worries buddy. It's nice to learn different translations. And again nice pics.

One of the first times I had seen a fox in the wild in the daytime was on one of the worst days on Dartmoor I have been in. It looked like two hares running next to each other in the poor vis but it was the fox's body and the huge bushy tail. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE