Fourth Hammock Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
climbing tape for shredded fingers or webbing? because the tape wouldn't be much use really ;)

Sorry about the late payment John, I nearly forgot all about it :eek:

I made my own cotton tarp a while back and really like being able to have a fire under it without the risk of it burning through with the odd spark.

Can't wait to get it!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Squidders said:
climbing tape for shredded fingers or webbing? because the tape wouldn't be much use really ;)

Sorry about the late payment John, I nearly forgot all about it :eek:

I made my own cotton tarp a while back and really like being able to have a fire under it without the risk of it burning through with the odd spark.

Can't wait to get it!

Climbing tape for the hammocks, this being the hammock group buy thread. You wouldn't think you were posting on the tarp thread by any chance :p

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
What climbing tape do you use john?

I currently use a plasticy :rolleyes: feeling nylon tape, but when I bought it was torn between that and a more soft feeling tape (not sure what material).

Don't suppose you know if there is any difference in use?

Also, would be interested in tape if you feel the urge to buy lots of it.... :D

MagiKelly

Daniel said:
What climbing tape do you use john?

I currently use a plasticy :rolleyes: feeling nylon tape, but when I bought it was torn between that and a more soft feeling tape (not sure what material).

Don't suppose you know if there is any difference in use?

Also, would be interested in tape if you feel the urge to buy lots of it.... :D

I use the softer feeling supertape. The reason is the knots tie and release a lot easier. When I have tried any sort of webbing it is not as good to tie and release and always seems to stretch in use. I have compared the climbing tape to the webbing and ropes on many other hammock set ups, including hennessy and the ecosyeterm and far prefer the tape. It is undoubtedly way over engineered for this use but it does the job well and gives me complete confidence in the hammock.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I use webbing from here, and I can tie and release it just fine. I'm a 6'3" 17 1/2 stone monster, and if I can undo a tape with one tug, after I've been kipping in a hammock - I guess anyone could.

MagiKelly

tomtom said:
anyone got any links to where i can get a sutaible tape online.. or will 550 para do the trick?

This is the stuff I use

http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe/kayak/uk/shop/rock-climbing-hardware/edelrid-products/edelrid-tape.htm

but like I say I may have a bulk deal shortly. The stuff Soa recommends certainly does the job and I have it on two hammocks but I am replacing them with climbing tape as it is better and does not stretch at all. The hight you tie the hammock is the hight it stays at.

MagiKelly

I've got a reply from the wholesaler in the UK and they are obviously not giving me their best price. It would work out at £49 for 50m delivered to my door. So 10m would be £9.80 add postage, probably about £2 plus Paypal = £12.41

Yet if you follow the link I gave above they currently have 12.5% off so 10m delivered to your door is costing £ 13..38 Not really enough of a saving to justify the hassle. Shame as I am looking for 20m myself and would have hoped to get a much better price from the wholesaler.

Still might have another idea ;)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
MagiKelly said:
The hight you tie the hammock is the hight it stays at.

As you mention it I do notice my hammock is closer to the ground in the morning... I just thought that would happen with any tape or rope setup.

I think the reason I didn't go for the softer feel tape was because it looks as though it would absorb a lot of water if it rained :confused:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Tape and cord are consumables in climbing. You're supposed to replace them after falls, specified time periods or prolonged extreme weather usage. Reality is a different story of course.

At the weekend I took:
- 2x 3m and 2x 1m closed tapes that have been used too often indoor to ever use them outdoor again. I'm going to open up the long pair but they worked fine as they were, there's just more uses for them open because then you've got both options.
- A set (2x 3.5m and 1x 2m) of 6mm prusics that got retired last year.
- 4 clips that I've been using with the old prusics for securing things on the canoe(so regular sea water = they're goosed for the rack as well :rolleyes: ).
- 10m or so of cheap cord that I thought might do for a ridgeline. It's just as well the black lines hold the tarp up themselves because this was drooping 40mm by the morning with just the weight of the wee headlamp hanging off it and the tarp was on it's own.

What was the point? Was there a point? :confused:
Oh, aye - I'm not really sure what paracord is. As such I'd not be keen on trusting my weight to it. Climbing brainwashed maybe but there are times where tying together a bunch of cords is better than not being roped up at all ;) .

The real point though was the tape :). It is a good bit softer than utility tape. It's designed that way so it can form itself around rocky edges and be tight yet distribute the load around any jaggy protrusions to protect itself.
The same applies in reverse, utility tape is more abrasive than climbing tape because it'll not form itself around around the irreglarities in the tree. It also won't grip as well(for just the same reason).

....and with a climbing tape and a clip you can confidently rig up a harness to go with your tied-together ridgeline rope. Opens up scope for making small cliffs a bit safer to get around.

On the whole I reckon spreading your weight over two trees is no big deal to the trees and the folk here have good ethics. As a one-time hammockeer I reckon everyone's onto a winner and I wish I'd tried it years ago and as a climber I'd like to remind everyone that if you're at the foot of a rocky outcrop with just one tree to play with, slide a wee rock/pebble into a crack with a bit of cord around it for a bomb-proof belay(sorry, fixing point).
That's why climbers call their high-tech rocks "rocks". :)

MagiKelly

As an update on the tape there will not be a group buy. The maker will not sell to me direct. The UK wholesaler will not reduce their price and I cannot get a better price per reel from any retailers.

So looks like the link above is still the best bet, unless you need 50m in which case I can pass on the UK wholesalers details.

Hammocks got posted today as promised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE