Found this the other day

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
An old SAS Escape/Survival pouch, used to be part of my belt kit. I found it while I was ratting about in the garage looking for stuff to flog off. One the best bit's of kit I ever pinched!
sorry about the pictures:1244:
P4290045.jpg

P4290048.jpg

Remember getting hung up on a barbed wire fence and ending up hanging by the front of this pouch! hung there for about 15 mins, till a couple of the lads came back for me:D

I was going to sell it but it's probably worth nowt, so I'll shove it out of the way again, I've already had the old chestnut: "How long is that going to be there?":rolleyes:

Ahh......the memories of youth!

( sniff's, wipes tear from corner of eye:p )

R.B.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Yeh, I had a trio of these on my belt kit too! They certainly did the biz, though I suppose not as popular now with OG cordura. The waterproof lining did keep most wet out as I remember. Now what did I do with mine?............................

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
RB
Don't be so sure about it being worth nothing I bought one of these about 15 years ago from Survival Aids I think it cost about £10.
I sold it on evil bay at the end of last year for about £40, must be a collectors item as well as being quite handy.
Ta Ed

rancid badger

RB
Don't be so sure about it being worth nothing I bought one of these about 15 years ago from Survival Aids I think it cost about £10.
I sold it on evil bay at the end of last year for about £40, must be a collectors item as well as being quite handy.
Ta Ed

Hmm.....:cool: Now then! thanks for that Ed;)

I was seriously considering taking it apart to make a pattern for a leather one after JF's suggestion:eek:
cheers
R.B.

rancid badger

If it has 'SAS' in the name, it'll sell on ePay.

I'm ignorant, how do these differ from '58 Patt.?

There are a few point's:
they were designed/made originally specifically for SAS issue.
They were made of the same cotton canvas, as 58 patt but were partly lined with butyl nylon, as far as I know, to help keep the contents dry. I never understood why the sides of the pouch were not also butyl lined:confused:
They are designed to take the small mess tin, although you can in fact get both tins in with a bit of a squeeze. The thinking behind using a mess tin was, I understand, for protection of the kit inside.
The main difference is the belt loops which were made to allow the pouch to hang low on the belt.

I know one thing, If I can sell it for £40, it's a half decent buoyancy aid!:D

R.B.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Rubbish! No metal pieces to rip your waist apart, it must be made for girls! What you want is a good old set of kidney pouches with big metal fastenings to rip your back up, all the girls like a good scar!

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh yes, and an original SAS/PARA bergen, you know the one?, welded metal frame ideal for carrying spare wheels for cvr/t's, cet's etc.:D

I remember the pain well! Agghhh! :eek:

R.B.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I remember the Para bergen, so called because you could probably fot a para in one if you tried hard enough! They've done an updated version with cordura instead of the old pu coated green nylon or whatever it was. It's gonna weigh about 5 kilos by itself!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE