Found my first birch bracket/razor strop fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I was out walking the dog a couple of days ago and noticed a birch tree riddled with fungi looming over a low wall.
One of the lower brackets was a good size - about 8ins across - so I popped it off with my pocket knife and brought it home for a good old experiment.
I've managed to cut a block from it about 5ins long and 3ins wide which is currently drying in my conservatory, and which I intend sticking to a nice piece of birch I found to use as a strop for my knives.

birchbracket.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The rest I'm going to cut into small pieces, dry it then keep it in a tin for holding a spark when I'm lighting a fire.
I was amazed at the dense consistency of the polypore - it's like flexible, durable polystyrene, with a quite pleasing mushroomy odour.
It may well be edible but I wouldn't fancy eating it though!
It's thanks to the incredibly knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum that I even knew what I was looking at, and what it could be used for, so thanks a lot guys and gals.
I love this forum for learning really interesting, useful stuff like this.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good stuff, i got one for a mate a few weeks back, he was well supprised when i told him what i was making for him, but also well chuffed.....:)

good stuff, init...;)

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Yes, that's why I cut myself a piece from it; it's currently drying out in the conservatory then I'm going to attach it to a piece of wood and use it to fine-finish my blade. And as for the plasters, what a useful thing to just have lying around the woods for someone as clumsy with a blade as I am!
I've also got some small pieces drying for taking an ember when I'm lighting fires. Really useful stuff ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE