Forum clock issue !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In my search for a solution I've found that sometimes when there's a hashtag for a page anchor, pressing back once reloads the page without the hashtag, the second press of back takes you to the previous page as expected. I don't have the problem so I can't see what's happening to the url, hence the question.

Ummmmm.... this might just be what's supposed to happen. If you go to some page or other, and in that page there's a link to an anchor within the same page, by clicking on that link you (a) change the URI in the location bar to the URI of the anchor (which as far as the browser is concerned is a different URI, not the URI of the page), and (b) insert the 'plain' page URI (the one without the '#anchor' bit) into the history list for subsequent retrieval by the 'back' button should you choose to use it.

If some page or other has a link to a URI which is a direct link to an anchor within a page, then I'd expect the 'back' button to take me back to the page with the link, not to the (so to speak) 'top' of the page containing the anchor, which I would call incorrect behaviour. Is the incorrect behaviour what you're seeing? If so, I'd suspect some sort of page coding issue, perhaps something with frames and/or JavaScript. I'd be a lot happier if JavaScript and frames had never been invented, but then publishers' options for abusing HTML would be much more limited. :)

Incidentally I can't remember seeing this behaviour on BCUK, but I've seen it occasionally on other sites. Usually I just don't go back there, like when people put slideshows on their home page or ask me to install something to view their site 'properly'. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There are a few threads regarding this problem that has been going on since about mid April, it has apparently been reported to admin who were looking into it.
If you type 'double click' into search you will get more info.

Ah, thanks for that. From what I've read it seems that the problem is only seen by users of Internet Explorer, and that it may be the result of the (possibly ill-advised) installation of some Google advertising stunt by the forum owner. At least some of the Google software has been removed but it appears that it may have left traces of itself which are causing this problem. There's probably something in the Google small print which says you can't sue them for breaking your Website, even after they've legged it with the proceeds.

All I can say is don't use Internet Exploder, and be patient while they try to repair the damage done by Google. I understand that some users of work computers may not have a free hand, although they may be able to install a different browser for use only by themselves instead of for use by all the users on the computer. Check the policies first, because many employers view installing software on a computer without permission as a disciplinary offence.

I stopped using Google last year, after it became clear that the accountants are now running it.

Oh, and my browser is Iceweasel. :)

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
If some page or other has a link to a URI which is a direct link to an anchor within a page, then I'd expect the 'back' button to take me back to the page with the link, not to the (so to speak) 'top' of the page containing the anchor, which I would call incorrect behaviour. Is the incorrect behaviour what you're seeing? If so, I'd suspect some sort of page coding issue, perhaps something with frames and/or JavaScript.

I'm coming to the conclusion it's either IE trying to be clever and ignoring the standards that all the other browsers adhere to, or it's a javascript error, but without someone telling me what happens it's difficult to investigate. This is why help-desk have remote access facilities so they can see what the error is when they can't replicate it on their own machines. Can someone with the error please tell us if there is any change when you press the back button the first time?? Please?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Ah, thanks for that. From what I've read it seems that the problem is only seen by users of Internet Explorer, and that it may be the result of the (possibly ill-advised) installation of some Google advertising stunt by the forum owner. At least some of the Google software has been removed but it appears that it may have left traces of itself which are causing this problem. There's probably something in the Google small print which says you can't sue them for breaking your Website, even after they've legged it with the proceeds.

All I can say is don't use Internet Exploder, and be patient while they try to repair the damage done by Google. I understand that some users of work computers may not have a free hand, although they may be able to install a different browser for use only by themselves instead of for use by all the users on the computer. Check the policies first, because many employers view installing software on a computer without permission as a disciplinary offence.

I stopped using Google last year, after it became clear that the accountants are now running it.

Oh, and my browser is Iceweasel. :)

Thanks for the info Ged,much appreciated,will hang fire and hope it gets sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE