Forking L!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I read a good quote long ago

"The world is a book, if you don't travel you only read one page"

Sadly doesn't help me go farther, these days my version of going abroad is crossing the border into Scotland

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing grumpy about having a different set of priorities - I adore our life - its so much better than wage slavery :) Indeed I'm not the one starting a thread to bemoan other peoples choices on how to spend their money.

I suspect that needing a holiday equates to needing to get away from normal life. I suspect that getting a life that one enjoys every day is far better than escaping from an unpleasant life for 4% of the year :)

I also suspect the monthly Sky TV subscription would be far better spent on trips to the library - that would be both cheaper and far more "broadening of the horizons"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nothing grumpy about having a different set of priorities - I adore our life - its so much better than wage slavery :) Indeed I'm not the one starting a thread to bemoan other peoples choices on how to spend their money.

I suspect that needing a holiday equates to needing to get away from normal life. I suspect that getting a life that one enjoys every day is far better than escaping from an unpleasant life for 4% of the year :)

I also suspect the monthly Sky TV subscription would be far better spent on trips to the library - that would be both cheaper and far more "broadening of the horizons"

Blimey Red. I was just pulling your leg.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me too :)

The one thing I have learned in my simple life is a sense of humour - and one of tolerance of others desires :) For example I think people who pay a fortune to roar round and round in circles on a race track are completely cracked! However being nice to someone who does this professionally means his lady wife deliver me unlimited manure for nothing.

She (and he) probably consider me equally cracked wanting what is, to them, a waste product. Indeed I do pest control work for them to help them, and they pay me in poo!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Me too :)

The one thing I have learned in my simple life is a sense of humour - and one of tolerance of others desires :) For example I think people who pay a fortune to roar round and round in circles on a race track are completely cracked! However being nice to someone who does this professionally means his lady wife deliver me unlimited manure for nothing.

She (and he) probably consider me equally cracked wanting what is, to them, a waste product. Indeed I do pest control work for them to help them, and they pay me in poo!

Your "simple life" is envied by a lot of folks on here myself included. And despite what you may or may not think it's not something we can all hope to achieve. I suspect your setup costs were significant. So holidays, tv programmes, books. Yeah we grab an escape from being a wage slave where we can. You're lucky. We know it.

Still can't justify £50 on a fork. It's not even bling. Maybe if it was of the variety you keep in the shed.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I reckon for fifty quid you could make one from solid silver, at least then it would have scrap value

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
. I suspect your setup costs were significant. So holidays, tv programmes, books. Yeah we grab an escape from being a wage slave where we can. You're lucky. We know it.

We afforded it by NOT having holidays and SKY TV :)

If you add up what many people spend on holidays and entertainment over twenty years and throw in the odd new car, it pays for a place like ours in the back of beyond in a swamp.

Not that I criticise what others choose to do. It just puzzles me when they describe us as "lucky". We just did without the fripperies for a couple of decades - anyone can do that if it really matters to them.

As for the fork - its not my choice, but, as I say, its no sillier than foreign holidays in my book :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
These are a bit of bling spork

3 for 80 quid

$_1.JPG

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Solid silver antiques, bling that shizzle around in your pot noodle by the campfire/stove light

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a light my fire titanium spork, a bit of an indulgence I suppose but in the long run more economical than all the plastic ones breaking, however it still cost me well under twenty quid and is probably a lot more functional than this piece of junk from Heinnie's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE