forged scandi im working on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
second attempt at forging, using a rather primitive set up! but it seems to be working. forged from o1 steel, thinking about what handle material to use?

Attachments

• forging.jpg
    forging.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
  • forgedscandi2.jpg
    forgedscandi2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 55
  • forgescandi.jpg
    forgescandi.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 56
Very nice!

I've been collecting knives with handles made from species local to my area. For example, my most recent knife is handled with California Buckeye Burl. This "connects" the knives to the forests I roam most often. And I think it's kinda cool. :)

Let us know what you choose for your handle.

- Woodsorrel

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
started on the wooden liner for the sheath, not really sure what im doing? just winging it really! wondering now if i should have left it the same width as the guard? is the slight step going to cause problems when i wrap the leather? should i skive a piece of leather to fill it out a bit?

Attachments

• puukkosheath2.jpg
    puukkosheath2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 20
  • puukosheath.jpg
    puukosheath.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 19

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, thats very helpful. wasnt sure if i should leave it a little wide top and bottom? i couldnt see how else to do it as no gap between top of the blade and guard so left it the same on the bottom to sort of match?
i can probably shave a little more off the bottom of the blade to be flush but may have to taper the top down to the guard or risk loosing integrity? as will leave the wood very thin

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
thanks, thats very helpful. wasnt sure if i should leave it a little wide top and bottom? i couldnt see how else to do it as no gap between top of the blade and guard so left it the same on the bottom to sort of match?
i can probably shave a little more off the bottom of the blade to be flush but may have to taper the top down to the guard or risk loosing integrity? as will leave the wood very thin

I was encouraged that I could go very thin by this guy ove on Britisgblades (so cant show you) when I did that knife 5 years ago. I suggest starting again on a new liner pine is fine btw.
What type of leather are you using?
I use halftanned leather

https://agunnarknife.com/page/2/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE