Forged & made first full tang burl bushy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Made this for me as an experiment to learn and improve as i'm more used to handling puukkos and making sheaths. I had some help and tuition on the hammers, but theres a stick tag finished with more input from me, and I reckon the next will be a solo job. I love Smithing!

Started life as a car spring, we straighted, flattened and shaped. Then I ground away with my new cheapo grinder and had a rough, and I mean rough play with filework. Did my first HT too which I find as much fun as I can play more with fire.

Scales made from a birch burl, and liners are birch bark, all found in the woods.
Im watching the pennies at the mo so the epoxy was dyed with ground up coal dust from the bottom of the bucket by the stove.

Pins locally sourced from B&Q :D Please excuse the picture quality.

Hardened in the back yard, Hairdryer style with home made charcoal, then tempered in the oven for an Hour. Next time it'll all be done in the forge.

100_2677.jpg

100_2678.jpg

100_2701.jpg

100_2699.jpg

100_2717.jpg

100_2712.jpg

The materials

100_2720.jpg

Overall length 200mm
Blade 90mm long 20-25mm deep and 4-2.5mm thick with a high scandi grind and micro stopped edge, so it seems to lend its self to batton and also fine carve/food prep ok so far.

The best bit was it cost 30p for the brass and that was it! Im now on the scrounge for free pins :D

Hope you like, Addo :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one mate! You gonna bring it to RC? Filework and everything! You've set the bar high for your first full tang now. I like the bark liners, I've still not tried that but don't know why. I was serious about the stick tang as well, whenever you get time to do a spare to sell I'll have it but I know you're busy. Nice work. Bet you found it quicker than making stick tangs...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the great comments everyone :)

Nice one mate! You gonna bring it to RC? Filework and everything! You've set the bar high for your first full tang now. I like the bark liners, I've still not tried that but don't know why. I was serious about the stick tang as well, whenever you get time to do a spare to sell I'll have it but I know you're busy. Nice work. Bet you found it quicker than making stick tangs...

Aye, it'll be there mate.
First stick tang blade I make worth selling and its yours. Im hopeing to get some done next week, and to make a makers stamp. Always wanted to stamp metal, just seems a good thing to do!

Yeah no bolster or tons of drilling and parrallel pieces to make, but the stick in the picture is going to be a pressie for the mrs for helping me out and a bday and she wants it to be a bit posh, so theres no escape just yet!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for the great comments everyone :)

Aye, it'll be there mate.
First stick tang blade I make worth selling and its yours. Im hopeing to get some done next week, and to make a makers stamp. Always wanted to stamp metal, just seems a good thing to do!

Yeah no bolster or tons of drilling and parrallel pieces to make, but the stick in the picture is going to be a pressie for the mrs for helping me out and a bday and she wants it to be a bit posh, so theres no escape just yet!

Looking forward to seeing it! No rush on the stick tang but I'll be chuffed to buy the first one when it's ready. Lookin forward to doing a kebab knife and taking my time with it. A stamp would be great, you can easily etch them until you get one sorted if need be...

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Hey man,i really like that bushy,its verrrry nice looking,atleast to my eyes its a pleasure when you see those hammering marks,small scratches etc,it gives the blade totally different feeling than some just ground and polished knives have,there in knife shops shelf.

I find these "diy" threads and topics most interesting,i like to se eguys making their own gear like you did,with what ever cheapo tools and machinery you come up with in your home,these topics also are good way to show to younger guys that you dont have t own real blacksmith shop at first,if ever.

Im always looking into dumpsters and scrap yards,to find nice materials and such,just as you found your brass pin etc.

Anyways,good job.Dont let those be last ones you do.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hey man,i really like that bushy,its verrrry nice looking,atleast to my eyes its a pleasure when you see those hammering marks,small scratches etc,it gives the blade totally different feeling than some just ground and polished knives have,there in knife shops shelf.

I find these "diy" threads and topics most interesting,i like to se eguys making their own gear like you did,with what ever cheapo tools and machinery you come up with in your home,these topics also are good way to show to younger guys that you dont have t own real blacksmith shop at first,if ever.

Im always looking into dumpsters and scrap yards,to find nice materials and such,just as you found your brass pin etc.

Anyways,good job.Dont let those be last ones you do.

Thanks a lot PRKL :) Takes a while to make knives like this but for me at the moment its getting that old fashioned feel for a knife that I can use for years and hopefully pass on to family when its time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE