Forestry Commission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Hi there

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining permssion from the Forestry Commission to camp overnight on their land and obviously the tricky question of camp fires.

Thanks

Mike

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Mike,

In all honesty, the FC are an odd bunch to deal with in that respect. I contacted the recreation officer for my area and they seemed really keen, I outlined what i was planning and they said apart from the knives, fires, cooking in general, camping overnight, shelter building then it was fine as long as I had public liability insurance. But each time I wanted to do it, I'd have to fil in a form with times, dates, names, which wood i was visiting etc etc and then the local ranger would sign it off. Basically more information than you need as a standard member of the public, but with the added right that you can wander off the paths,

It was all very odd, and frankly far too much red tape.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thanks for that. I have sent off an E-mail to the Northants Office last night and will wait and see what happens next.

Mike

It can't hurt. Hopefully if more people email then with the request they will start to realise there is a demand for bushcrafting on FC property and they will try to accomodate a solution.

Good luck.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
The first response was more positive than I thought. There is a scout and D of E Award site at one of the local woods , Fineshades. It is not available for other groups at present but they are thinking about it. I have asked if there are any other woods I could use, will keep everyone updated.

Mike

rancid badger

I now run bushcraft events under both The Friends of Chopwell Wood and Forestry Commission flags as a volunteer and its fantastic!

It takes a hell of a long time to become established and prove your credibility and the first step is to volunteer and get involved with other tasks.
I have been a member of and served on the management committee of F.o.C.W. for about 5 years or so and worked closely with the Ranger for a good while before that.
I started getting involved through the A.C.F. I needed somewhere local to teach simple field craft and basic outdoor skills. I spoke to the Ranger and sorted out an arrangement whereby I would take my detachment into the woodland and collect litter etc. in return for permission to train the kids in a realistic but safe setting. ( no weapons!)
I was also teaching them basic survival skills as well as bushcraft and the Ranger, one day, asked me if I might be interested in running an event for him. I was rather reluctant at the time, about 9 years ago because I didnt expect anyone to be interested other than 'rambo' wanna be's but he convinced me to give it a go.
I've never looked back to be honest but if they think your a knife freak or afore mentioned 'Rambo', 'survivalist'( a term-unfortunately-regarded by too many people as taboo) or general nutter your wasting your time.
If your not genuine they seem to have a radar for it,
If your a spiv buisness man type, looking for somewhere to make a quick buck, again,forget it!

What I'm saying is; if your not prepared to make an effort and actually work with the people who have the control and responsibility for these areas, the chances are, you wont get far. I should warn you as well it can be extremely hard work at times! but the benefits in terms of access etc. are reward enough.

You need to look beyond just getting permission to camp and light fires. You need to prove that your in it for the long haul and willing to get involved and help out.

I hope this has given you all a bit of an insight and dont knock the paperwork or red tape, it's protecting you, as much as it is them and the general public.
( its also a doddle once you knock up a template)

kind regards-R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll second what RB says. Best thing you could do is get involved as a volunteer ranger. OK so it's unpaid, but let's face it you'll be in the great outdoors, maybe get the opportunity to champion bushcraft, and show those in charge that you are a responsible person who's serious about your lifestyle choices.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE