Forced into extended period in a tent!

• Thread starter Deleted dude 7861
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The local authority has to by law give you somewhere to stay but your not homeless yet so that'll be why. The day you actually leave your home, phone the homeless and you will get into a hostel.

There you will be put on the council housing list which in fife can take up to 5 years even when homeless. Or you will get a scatter flat.

Saying that i've been on the street and yesterday i made arrangements to leave my flat in one month to be homeless again. I believe through personal experience that the less i have the happier i am.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
This really irks me!

When my parents split up, my mum was not entitled to any help even though as Matt has done she had paid all her taxes etc, worked full time blah blah.

Matt, my advice to you would be to forgo your deposit (and judging by what you have said about your landlord it sounds as though you might not get it back anyway). Although I have a passionate dislike of the "usual type", I would change the locks, and claim squatters rights.

I know there may be members on here who say it's just not done, immoral, not British (and normally I would be one of them) but I think it's about time us "smaller" people actually took advantage of the rules we pay our taxes for. Even if we don't agree with them.

Here is the protection of eviction act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/43/contents

Also have a look at this

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2009/10/17/urban-myth-tenants-who-stay-on-after-the-end-of-their-fixed-term-are-%E2%80%98squatters%E2%80%99/

There may not be any change in the eventual outcome, but you may be able to stay there a few more months at least.

As mentioned above go to the CAB.

Sorry for the rant, but it's about time people who really deserve our help in the UK, get it. It's one of the major reasons I'm emigrating in a month.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Thats a bad situation to be in :(
There might be an option to tide you over....
Have you thought of joining the Woofers? There are lots of places in Scotland and all over the world where you can stay on an organic farm in exchange for work. It might give you a bit of breathing space so you have time to think and make decisions without the 2 weeks time pressure

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/join_wwoof

What ever happens.... Good Luck!!

ATB
Ness :)

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
Have you read 500 mile walkies by Mark Wallington? Well worth it in your situation.

If you don't have any other responsibilites then why not take off on an adventure and walk the coast path or something. Start writing the diary, keep it upbeat and see if one of the walking or outdoor mags will pay you a bit for the articles, it won't be much but it may lead to something else workwise at a later date. If nothing else it'll prove to a potential employer you are resourceful.

Its the right time of year to find work everywhere around the coast, everyone is getting geared up for the season ahead. Wander into a pub and say you are working your way around the coast and someone will give you a day or twos work for certain.

Good luck, if you head this way give me a shout on here and I'll see if I can sort some work out for you.

Will :)

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Hi Matt

Have you tried claiming housing benefit as you will be entitled to it as you have been made redundant.

Are you still within your contract with your landlord because it's illegal to put up rent during the fixed term of the contract, the rent can only be put up when/if the contract is being renewed.
Have you paid a bond, if so has it been registered by the landlord with one of three tenancy deposit schemes (which you should have received proof of within 14 days of paying the bond) if your landlord has not put your bond into one of the three required schemes he has lost his right to evict you and if he took you to court he would end up having to pay you three times the bond plus the original bond that you paid him as compensation for not protecting your original bond.

If he has protected your bond the only legal way he can evict you is if he issues a section 21 of the housing act, but this can only be issued 2 months before the end of your contract is due to expire and must be dated for you to vacate the property on the day your contract ends, so basically he can issue you with a section 21 five months before your contract ends but you are not required to move out until the last day stated on your contract.

If you really have got no choice change the locks and sit tight because an eviction will take at the minimum six months to get to court.

You really need to seek legal advice, if you want any more info pm me.

Frogo

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
To echo everyone else - good luck, and I admire you for making such a positive and strong decision in such adverse conditions.

As well as WOOFING you could also try this website;

http://www.helpx.net/

It's a site connecting people who need help on their land with willing workers.

Thoughts go with you.

Magentus

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
sounds to me mate like you want a bit of a camping holiday and this is just the push you needed, your not really homeless as you haven't really tried all that hard to sort it out that way, One thing though is that when you do try to get a house once your fed up playing at it,it may be quite hard as people will see you have been all right in your tent.
Look at all the people who live in the middle of with roundabouts with there sky dishes and porta loos.
Loads of posts offering you help, addresses, phone numbers. Take it!!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE